Wednesday, August 9, 2017

How I Found Time to Write: Step 2

Finding time to write is a hard.

There are tons of reasons why, but the main one is because as writers, we are not on a 9-5 schedule. You can write anytime and any place you want. Which also means sometimes you won't write...at all!

My biggest distraction is myself. There is always something more pressing that needs to be done, doctor's appointments to attend, kids to get to school...you get the picture.
What can you do to help sit down and get that writing done?
For the next few weeks, we will be looking at what has worked and what hasn't for me and some of my other writer friends. Here we go!


Step 2 
Block Out Time

So what did you find out about how you spent your time? I hope it was as much an eye opener for you as it was for me.

So...

What are you doing?
After you've evaluated yourself and what you do with your time, are there times you are not doing anything that you could be writing (like watching t.v. curse you stupid zombie shows)? Take that time and write it down. Or are there things that can be done quicker than normal or more efficiently to give you more time? For example, throw dinner in the Crockpot in the morning allowing more time to write in the afternoon. Can you move those things to a different time that would be more conducive to writing? Can you eliminate some of those things for more writing time?

Times of the day
Did you know that you are more efficient at certain times of the day?  I get more running done in the morning than I do at night (which is why I like to exercise in the morning). But it differs per person. Are you a morning person? An evening person? Not two people are always the same. I personally prefer writing in the afternoon after the stresses of laundry, cleaning, kids out the door, dinner prep, are done. I went to a writer's conference where one of the speakers mentioned that once he found the best time that worked for him and started using that time for writing, he was able to write more words per minute and get more done towards his weekly goal.

Times of the week
I don't write on certain days. It's true. I don't write on Sundays or Mondays. I leave Sunday for Gad and family. On Monday I do house tasks to keep the family running smoothly.

Times of the year
Oh, and that can also be applied to the time of the year.   I don't write much in the summer when my kids are out of school. I've tried time after time. Summer is too busy, I write in the fall and through the year until my kids are out of classes again. Is that why NaNoWriMo is in November? Maybe. hum...

Block Out That Time
Now that you've taken the time to evaluate your time and what you are doing during that time, the next step is to find a time to block out just for writing.

Like I said before, I prefer writing in the afternoon. I was able to get more writing done during that time and I didn't worry near as much about what other things I had on my plate for that day. Yes, I'm not perfect and I have missed a day or two, but when I stick to my blocked time, I get more writing done and am more successful.

Block Out That Time!!!!

Next week we will talk about step #3, goal setting.

So, what times have worked best for you? Are you a morning or an evening person?

No comments: