Monday, January 28, 2013

The Secrets of Getting the Writing Done

I know...I know...I've been gone for a while.

But I have a good reason. I've gotten back into the habit of writing. It took a while, but I've done it! I've started a new project and have reached the two-thirds mark. (YES!!! *lots of jumping for joy and eating caramels*)

How did I do it? Well, there is a little secret to get the writing done, and I'm going to share it with you.

Here it is. Are you ready?

Just do it. 

Da-da!

Okay, it's a little harder than that. There are a few other tricks of writing that's helped me. For instance:

1. You have to have the desire to write. Writing is a hard business (trust me...with all the time, critiquing, rejections...need I say more?)

2. If you are serious about writing, you really should treat it like a job. Have deadlines, goals, and a lunch break (you know how I like to snack).

3. This is the most important for me: SCHEDULE TIME TO WRITE! If I don't have a time blocked out on my calendar, other things will get in my way (I'm looking at you laundry). It has made all the difference.

So, that's how I tackle the writing. What about you? Any good secrets to get your writing done?

17 comments:

Carolyn Abiad said...

1) Yup.
2) Yup.
3) and Yup.

You are so right. It's easy to let other stuff sidetrack the writing.

Congrats on your new project! Can't wait to hear more about it.
<3

Patti said...

I've been thinking a lot about trying to treat it like a part time job. I haven't had much luck so far, but I'm hopeful for February.

J. A. Bennett said...

So glad you're into writing again! I get up at 5 am to write, some days are really hard, but I wouldn't get any writing done otherwise. Awesome that you're 3/4 of the way through! Go, go, go!

Jennifer Shirk said...

LOL!! Genius advice.
Hand-cuffing oneself to the chair works too. LOL

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Three little words. Why are they so hard????

Angie said...

Yay! Good for you.

February Grace said...

Congratulations on getting back into it! You've been missed but I totally understand why, there are only so many hours after all.

huge hugs!
bru

L.T. Elliot said...

Congrats! That's so true about just getting it done. And while I don't have a particular schedule, I do have to set a time where I don't let other things interfere. (EX: Rejecting a phone call instead of answering it.) Anyway, congrats and hooray!

Sara B. Larson said...

I'm so excited that you're 2/3rds done! And you're so right, the secret is just doing it. And treating it like a job. I've always told myself if i want writing to be a career, I need to treat it like one. :-)

Susan Fields said...

I'm at my best when I first wake up, and I wake up really early, so I try to use those first few hours before anyone else gets up to write. Now that I've started school, I'm still trying to reserve that time for writing, but I'm sure there will be plenty of days that homework has to come first.

Medeia Sharif said...

Yay for getting into the swing of things. I participate in ROW80, which means publicly posting my progress. I've stayed up late the night before an update just so I can post a decent amount of progress the next day.

Janet Johnson said...

Scheduling time is my secret, too. If I don't, it NEVER gets done. And I like to use pen and paper sometimes because then I'm not tempted to just check my email account one more time. :)

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I have long breaks between writing projects - it seems to recharge me. And then, I have an idea and I write like crazy for a month or so until I finish the first draft. I don't recommend this method though! I only do this because with my attention span, I'm afraid I'll get bored and stop part way through if it takes me too long!

Congrats on starting again! Whatever way works for you, just do it!

David P. King said...

Whoa! Just do it? That's all I have to do? I may not have to go to another conference ever again (but I will, because I like to hang out with my peeps). :)

Carolyn V said...

lol. Well, not everything, but a good start. ;)

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Hi, Carolyn! I haven't been over here forever, and I'm so sorry. I'm adding you back into my blogroll since after my huge issues last year, I redid everything and had to re-add everyone, many got overlooked. *hugs* miss you. :)

Jamie Burch said...

Great news!!! Yes, I have to be better about scheduling my writing time. Thanks for sharing your secret!