Monday, December 17, 2012

To the Heroes

It's been a rough weekend.

The news from Connecticut was very overwhelming. I couldn't watch the news without breaking down. There is real evil out there.

But there are also real heroes.

As I turned on my computer on Sunday, the news was filled with stories of heroic acts:

A janitor who had the courage to run through the hallways to warn others, a teacher who gave her life after hiding her children in cupboards, a young boy whose life was saved when a hand reached out and pulled him into a classroom, a parent who not only mourned for the life of his child but also the family of the shooter.

There are many more -  more than I think we all hear about.

The heroes.

My heart goes out to all of them: the families, the victims and the heroes.

Thank God for the Heroes.

9 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

Eloquently said, Carolyn. The world has heard of many tragedies over the years, but this one feels wrong on top of wrong. So senseless. I had a hard time watching any of the news reports about it. I buckled down, though, and did watch out of respect for the families.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yes, so true!!

Patti said...

Great post, Carolyn. It's good to see some good in all of this.

Annalisa said...

I've shed many tears this weekend, both for sadness at the evil and touched by the heroics. It's made it hard to focus on anything when that has happened in the world.

Susan Fields said...

So true! This post gave me goosebumps. Thanks for sharing their stories.

Summer Ross said...

Heartfelt post. I too had a hard time with this...my youngest is still in elementary school. It's terrifying and to see a community come together and people be heroes is amazing.

David P. King said...

You said it, Carolyn. It was a hard weekend for many. Thank you for highlighting the heroes of that day.

Medeia Sharif said...

My heart also goes out for all of them. I couldn't have said it better myself in regards to these real-life heroes.

L.T. Elliot said...

It's wise to focus on the people who are heroic, who bring beauty and hope to the world. Because when we look for the good, we act on that good, and can change the world for the better. My heart is broken by what happened in Newtown. But it is also healed by witnessing the countless acts of love that are following after and the compassion of millions who truly care for those children and their families.