Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Refashion your Words

From bandana to....
...apron! (thank you photobucket)

No way! Have you seen all these posts about refashioning? 

Refashioning is when you have a beloved piece of clothing that you revamp! (I don't mean vampire up, btw. Although, that sounds a little cool.)

Take this for instance. You have an old t-shirt, so you cut off the sleeves, add some elastic, and presto...a new skirt. You can change just about anything old in your closet. Pants, to purse; pj bottoms to skirt; old shirt to new. It's amazing!!!

The same thing goes from writing. Have you ever shelved any of your writing. You can go back and revamp with editing and revisions! I have heard of may writers, who write something, shelve it, go back, clean it up, and get it published. Really! It can work.

All it takes is a little imagination and time.

I'm off to look through my computer files for some projects that need some refashioning.

What do you think? Have you ever shelved a project, pulled it out and cleaned it up? Do you think it's worth it?

17 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

I love this comparison! I totally wish I could refashion things and now you've pointed out that I can!! You're awesome ;)

Becca said...

Totally. I love the idea of never throwing anything (digital) away. Because I have come back to a story that sat waiting for a few years, and I turned it into more than it was and now it's pretty good. And that feels great. Even though I would almost guarantee NEVER turning a pair of PJ pants into a prom dress, I love to rework the words that wait in my files.

David P. King said...

Yes! I have done this a few times. Strangely, they went back on the shelf, but the get better each time. :)

Annalisa said...

You know, I'm really struggling to visualize a bandana large enough to make an actual apron and not a lingerie-version of an apron ;).

Yes, and like David, it's ended up back on the shelf. BUT. I'm the eternal optimist and maybe next time it, with a little spice and inspiration and a dash of voice, I can revamp into a sellable piece. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sara B. Larson said...

I also know of some people who have had success with this. But it usually requires a major "revamping." ;) I do think it can work, especially if it's a good idea in the first place.

Patti said...

Love those posts about repurposing your stuff and I do that a lot with the same book. I think it's down to threads now.

Angie said...

Oh, yes. That's just what happened to Defenders of the Covenant. It was shelved for ten years. I never delete anything!

Lynn said...

Every written word deserves a chance to be 're-vamped!' Just like people, it is always worth it to give them a second chance.

Medeia Sharif said...

I plan on rewriting something old this fall and winter. Also, I took part of an old manuscript and used it to draft something new over the summer.

Summer Ross said...

I do think it's worth it and have refashioned a few older stories- have a great day!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Refashioning . . . hmm. Many times I've refashioned a book I've been working on. Does that count? :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's so cool! I wish I was more creative!
Some of my old manucripts I cannot re-vamp. :(

Janet Johnson said...

I wish I had that talent for refashioning my clothes. How cool is that?!

But I have done the refashioning thing with my books. :)

Susan Fields said...

I haven't done that yet, but I plan to soon. After my revision retreat weekend, I decided to take what I learned and revamp my previous wip (after I get done revising the current one, that is.)

Al said...

My first novel was shelved for years.
I took it out finally and did a total rewrite.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Yep...I've got a picture book that needs to be revamped. I still love the story, but I need to make some big changes...Thanks for the reminder.

Carolyn Abiad said...

I just shelved a manuscript, but I do plan to work on it again later.

Cool bandana apron, btw. :)