Monday, July 9, 2012

Inadequacy



We all feel it from time to time. At times we have more than our fair share.

That feeling when you find yourself comparing yourself against the best (that skinny girl down the street, the writer who whipped out 20k in one sitting, the newbie writer who landed that agent).

(Photobucket)
Or when you look at something different than you had in the past and realized that you were wrong about certain things (eating 1,000 calories in chocolate and thinking you wouldn’t gain weight, thinking that first ms was a masterpiece) (lol…or was that just me?)

When you look in the mirror and ask, “What was I thinking?”

Well, I’m ready to tell you that we are all inadequate and that won’t stop us anyway. I’ve been told that if you believe enough and work hard enough, it will happen. I totally believe that.

But you have to want it enough.

I hope I do. What about you? Do you think you will make it?

9 comments:

Patti said...

My belief ebs and flows. Right now its on the ebbing side. I still think I'll make it, but it might not be in the way I originally pictured.

Carolyn Abiad said...

Do I believe? Somewhere deep inside, I must, or why would I keep pounding my head against this brick wall? I signed up for critiques and fall conferences and-is any of it going to help?
I hope. Yes. I hope.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I hope I make it...I know one of my problems is that I drop the ball. I query a story once or twice and by then have moved on to another story. I'm going to work harder on making querying a priority.

You are right, we all feel this way in many parts of our lives. We just have to remember that person we are comparing ourselves to probably has the same issues.

Elana Johnson said...

Ah, yes, inadequate. I feel this all the time, in all areas of my life, including writing. I don't think it ever goes away, and honestly, I hope it doesn't. It's what drives me to look at my stories and try to make them better each time I write.

Sara B. Larson said...

OH man, how well I understand feeling inadequate--in so many ways. But I try to let it drive me to be better, instead of lead me into self-pity. Sometimes I'm more successful than others. But if there's one thing I've learned about myself, it's that I refuse to give up. Hopefully that ends up being a good thing. ;)

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm with Patti about ebb and flow and Elana & Sara about using it to drive you into doing more and pushing yourself to be better. I hope for those things. I can always do better.

Nicole Ducleroir said...

I try to live The Secret, which means believing all my dreams into realities. It works, as long as you stay dedicated to the end result you desire and work hard to bring it to you. Believe you will have it, work tirelessly towards it, and it shall be yours. Whatever "it" is. Great post, one that encourages all of us! Thanks!!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yes, I struggle with feeling inadequate too. Am I growing as a writer? Am I doing enough? Am I making the right decisions for a career? Sometimes you just have to plow forward.

Nichole Giles said...

You're right. We are all inadequate sometimes. But then we are all adequate others. And we all struggle with both, I think. I agree that we have to want it bad enough.

But while it might appear that we have to work harder, pay higher dues, or longer ones or whatever, the truth is that we can't see the whole yard just by looking over the fence. There is always much more to every story.

Your day will come, and so will mine. And the joy of it will be huge because of what it took to get there, rather than in spite of it.

And then we'll party.