Thursday, June 7, 2012

We’ve …Been…Waiting for so Long


It finally happened. It’s summer!

We’ve been counting down the days. Watching the calendar for the morning when we could actually sleep in on a weekday (well…when the kids could sleep in). 

We have plans. Swimming, hiking, fun classes, picnics. Yes, we are planning it all. 

Not my pool, but kind of wish it was (Thanks PhotoBucket)
Last year, we didn’t plan. I kept myself locked up inside a dark room, polishing up my final product while finishing up my college classes. 

I was miserable and it showed up in my writing. *shaking fist at dark room*

I read an article about a writer who took seven years to publish her first book. When asked why it took so long, she said this was the first book she actually had passion for - and it came out in her writing.

That’s why things are changing this year. I’m making room for my writing and my other plans. I won’t kept myself locked inside the dungeon. I’m making a break for it. 

And I can’t wait. (I hope it shows up for the best in my writing!)

What about you? Have you ever found yourself without passion for the writing? Did you over tax your time and the creativity flew away? How did you change it?

12 comments:

Summer Ross said...

Homework always took away creativity- I can't fight homework, so i patiently waited until a break with ideas running in my head.

Annalisa said...

Oh yeah. The passion for your first piece. I miss that. This novel I'm working on, my first draft was totally without passion and it showed. Two years later and I think I've fixed it. Hey, at least it didn't take me seven ;).

Sara B. Larson said...

I think there are different things that can suck the passion and joy from writing, including being busy. Rejections are also hard on the creative juices for me personally. I hope you have a great summer!

Carolyn Abiad said...

Every time I send out a batch of queries! Can't stay away from the stupid inbox, and my mind can't concentrate on the words.

Patti said...

I think you can have lots of passions and they take time away from each other. I love playing soccer and it takes up a lot of my time. I also love watching my kids play sports and that takes up a lot of time. Eventually I'll be too decripate to play sports and my kids will leave home. I figure that's when I can devote all of my time to writing.

Becca said...

This sounds flighty, but creating something should be FUN. Not all the time fun, because it's hard work, too. But if the act of creating isn't enjoyable, there's no chance that the possibility of later-on fame and success are going to please you (the theoretical you, not the CV you). Make Good Art, like Mr. Gaiman said, and that act should make you glad.

MTeacress said...

Good for you. No dungeons allowed. I have a passion for it, but I'm also scared of it - I feel like a kid at the end of the diving board...waiting...waiting...jump!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yeah, that happens to me. I started writing somethiing completely different recently--a novella--not caring what I'll do with it. It's been awesome and has really boosted my creativity.
I should have done this earlier.

Jolene Perry said...

I'mstill waiting for summer. :(

I'm at the park right now with my kiddos who no longer want me running with them.
Coats are on, but at least it's not raining...

L.T. Elliot said...

Hooray for summer break! So glad you're living it up!

J. A. Bennett said...

That pool looks heavenly! I think the most important thing (besides living - as you have said) is knowing that you're never going to give up even though right now is hard. We all go through phases where we hate everything, but that doesn't mean it's never going to get better!

ali cross said...

ROFL! You, me and Tess Hilmo are ready to CELEBRATE and LIVE this summer! Go us!