Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Storymakers

It's that time again!

Storymakers. Da da da.

L.T. and Me (I don't know who that leaning girl is. Hey, who are you girl?) 

Yup. It's conference time again. Plans are begin made, m-n-m's are being bought. Woohoo! It will be a great week.

If you are a writer and you haven't been to a conference, I will say it again.


Go.

Any reputable conference will work. Online, a few states away, whatever.

Why?

Because when you attend a conference, you not only are saying to yourself that, "Hey, I really am a writer," but you also learn more about the craft of writing. And writing well is a good thing. ;)

Plus rubbing shoulders with amazing writers/editors/agents is pretty cool too.

So tell me, what is the best piece of writing advice that you have gleaned (from a conference or not).  Mine, keep going (and you can do hard things). Best advice I could give myself. Have a great week everyone!






15 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

I've attended three conferences online. Awesome!! But I so want to attend one in person. Ugh... Hopefully soon....

J.R. Johansson said...

Learn to trust your instincts and the rule of 3 for critiques. :)

L.T. Elliot said...

Blonde doesn't suit me. Neither does fat. Sadly, I am both in that picture. But I do love that we're both laughing. I love that we do that a lot around each other. :)

The best advice I ever received was unintentional, I think. "You are not just telling stories." There's a meaning behind what we do and books change people. Books help people. Books make the world a livable place. We're not just telling stories.

Summer Ross said...

Mine greatest piece of advice that someone gave me was "what are you doing everyday to reach your goal?" It's a great questions because it lights fire under my procrastination.

David P. King said...

Looking forward to seeing you there! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Cool. I love going to conferences. Even if I don't learn anything new, I just love to soak up the energy in the atomsphere. LOL

Jennifer Shirk said...

Atomsphere?
I meant, atmosphere. :-)

Elana Johnson said...

I love conferences! Hope we get to see each other this week!

Sara B. Larson said...

I will be there Saturday, yay!! Hope to see you!

Al said...

That reminds me one of the few conferences down here in Oz should be coming up soon.
Thank you!

Carolyn Abiad said...

Best piece of advice I ever got: set goals and reward yourself when you reach them. Goals being: x number of words, or revising x number of pages, or finishing a draft.

Jamie Burch said...

Yay! Enjoy your conference!

Elliot Grace said...

...agreed! Truly an unforgettable experience ;)

El

Susan Fields said...

Conferences are so wonderful - I always feel so inspired after I go to one. I went to a writer's retreat last weekend and it was also amazing!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I love going to conferences both in person and on line. Being with like mind people is rejuvenating. I always walk away with something.