Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Have you Hear this Song?

Can you believe they took this in only one shot! Wow. 

(If you read this last week, sorry. Blogger posted it early for me. Gotta love that automatic time and date thing --especially when you make a mistake. *blushes*)

This is how I feel about writing.

Lately my radio station has been playing this song every morning when I'm stuffing dishes into the dishwasher. Every time I hear it, I feel the desire to sit down and write.

A few weeks ago a friend and I were talking about being writers.

We both agreed that if you are going to be a writer, you have to love it.

Most writers don't make a ton of money. Writers spend hour after hour alone with their characters instead of working side by side with co-workers (talking about the latest event that happened last night on the TV - unless they are talking to their mc's).  Writers re-read/re-write their words about a million times, analyzing each sentence to make sure they are golden; this is a tedious job.

So why am I a writer?

Is it because of the desire inside? Because I know if I quit, I would regret it. Because there's a "burning in my heart" to get the words out?

Um...yes. That's it. That's why I'm a writer.

Why are you a writer?

15 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

Because I have to be. Just like dance, writing is a part of what makes me ME. There is not escaping it. It might prove difficult at times, but as long as I look at it as a challenge I'll forge ahead, learn something new about my world and me. Hopefully, I can share that through my writing.

Thanks for sharing that song!

Laurel Garver said...

I guess I write because it makes me feel less crazy. And it's a way of being sneakily brave--my characters can think and say and do all the things most would never expect me capable of. LOL.

Patti said...

Because I think I would be really sad if I didn't do it.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I know! I could be making so much more money working as a pharmacist. But it's not what I really want to do. :)

WOW, cool video!

Janet Johnson said...

It is tedious! But I am so influenced by what I read, I want to be able to do that, so I'm driven to keep trying. I may never get there, but too many ideas are floating in my head, and if I didn't write them down, I'd be even more distracted than I am now. :)

Kate Coursey said...

I'm a writer because there's nothing more satisfying than finishing a book. I absolutely love that feeling, and I love perfecting a manuscript until it shines. Plus, I really believe the quote that you should find something you love to do without being paid, then find someone to pay you for it.

It was good to see you this weekend! Also, would you be willing to repost that WIFYR video on your blog? Apparently not very many people have signed up this year for the conference, and we're trying to help spread the word.

Elana Johnson said...

I really do love writing. It's a way to bleed the emotion out of my real life.

Carolyn Abiad said...

Well said, Elana!

I write because I love making worlds out of my words. Yes, this is called world-building disease. I don't think there is a cure.

L.T. Elliot said...

I think Elana perfectly captured writing for me. Well, one of its aspects. I've tried quitting writing and it won't quit me. So we're stuck together.

Nicole Ducleroir said...

I'm a writer because I'm driven to get my thoughts and stories down on paper. Sometimes, I wonder why. Especially on those days when I don't feel like writing but do it anyway, because "I have to." Some days, I think I've lost my joy for the craft. Some days, it's just that hard. But when I try to stop, my mind just goes on writing. After a time, I figure I might as well get those thoughts down on paper, and the joy bubbles up again. I don't think I'll ever give up. I don't think I could stop, forever.

Shelley Sly said...

I have so much creative energy, I have to put it somewhere. Before I started writing (when I was a kid), my grandma gave me a tape recorder to tell stories into, because I always had a story in my head. It's a way for me to empty my mind of all these ideas -- and I love it!

I like Death Cab For Cutie. More of a fan of their old stuff, but You Are A Tourist is a good song, too. :)

MTeacress said...

I am a writer because I believe that there are books in heaven, and I want mine to be in that library. TeeHee.

Al said...

just stupid I guess!

kathrynmagendie said...

I'm laughing at Al's comment *laughing!*

I guess it empties my head of all the cray-cray :-D

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I like what Kathryn said....it empties my head. :)

Carolyn you won a signed book over at my blog.