Monday, January 16, 2012

Things to Remind Myself this Year

I was told once that everyone of us has a little OCD (over compulsive disorder...you know, like that show Monk.)

I had a doctor point it out to me once as I sat in her office; fixing all the picture frames so they matched up. (Hey, they were crooked.) (lol. Okay, I wasn't really doing that. I was washing my hands over and over...It's a doctors office, they have germs. Ew.)

Anyway, I met last week with my writing buddies and we had discussed changing things up in our daily routines to get more writing done.

But there are things I keep forgetting.

So this is my list of things to remember when I'm sitting at my computer screen, thinking about the laundry that needs to be washed:

      1.  DON'T think of the laundry while you are writing (unless your characters are being strangled by dirty socks. Then by all means, think of laundry).

     2. The dishes can be washed anytime during the day. Or night. (You've got that button on the washer that lets  you run it at night...remember? Doing dishes while you sleep. Awesome.)

     3. Turn off the phone ringer. (Two or three hours away from the phone isn't a crime. Plus you have that awesome answering machine message that needs to be used. Okay...it's not awesome, but it's there. Now turn off that ringer.)

     4. Last but not least. Just sit down and do it. Those stories aren't going to write themselves. (There is no button on my computer for auto-pilot. But that might be cool for those writing block days.)

Okay. There is my list of OCD things I need to not worry about. (But probably will anyway.)

What OCD things do you deal with? Come on, everyone has some. Now stop straightening up those frames and let me know. ;) Have a great week everyone! Good luck with the writing.

16 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

Looks like I originally came by too early today! I have to say I'm not very OCD about anything. My mom is, though. I think this is why I'm not. I hated how everything had to be perfect growing up. Funny thing is, my daughter is completely OCD!

Patti said...

I have certain things - how my bed is made, how I unload my groceries on the conveyor belt thing.

I'm also like you I have to put laundry and dishes out of my head or go do them so I can feel less guilty about writing.

Jamie Burch said...

I do have some tendencies, but nothing that takes over my life. I'm with you on the laundry and dishes.

I do straighten things when I'm nervous.

Hmm...what else can I come up with?

Have a great OCD free week! :)

LisAway said...

:D

I forgot about mine until I read Patti's. I have to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt a certain way. And bag them in a way that makes sense.

I also am not a fan of stick, dirty or otherwise grimy fingers, so I keep my kids' hands quite clean. :)

Jen Daiker said...

Our minds never stop, do they? I constantly tell my husband that I'd love a break from myself. A chance to take out my brain and let it rest for awhile. Give me a chance to clear my head. Put the invisible file cabinet in order and shut it to help release the pressure.

Why aren't our brains more organized? If was anything like my house I'd be set.

Susan Fields said...

For the first few hours of the day, my time is for writing and nothing else - the laundry can wait! But after 9am or so, it seems everything else takes over.

MTeacress said...

We have a mission that may not seem that important, but let me testify that the world is a lot more content with straight picture frames.

I also care too much about straight refrigerator magnets, though curiously not about cat hair on my couch.

L.T. Elliot said...

I always check the locks on the door 3 times before I go to bed. I can't sleep unless I'm absolutely certain the house is locked up tight. =P

Angie said...

I have to remind myself all the time that writing is important too! It's okay to let some things go so I can get some writing done. Good luck, Carolyn.

Lynn said...

The constant opening of my fridge, wondering if I need to add grainy mustard, or plum sauce, or tomatoes, or...to my grocery list!

Yes, those stories will never write themselves, darn it all!

Jolene Perry said...

I let myself get distracted way too easily. It's hard to stay focused when there are a million things to do!

Kate Coursey said...

I'm completely ADD when it comes to writing. I always get distracted by Facebook or email or making triangles out of tape. That's right, whenever there's scotch tape nearby I pull off little pieces and fold them into triangles. It drives my mom nuts because sometimes I leave them scattered all over the tables and floors and it wastes tape. But I just can't help it!

Yeah, I guess I'm a little OCD :).

Al said...

I am very not OCD. I suppose I do obsess about some things, but right now I just can't recall any :-)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! I definitely have a little OCD--epsecialy when it comes to vacuuming or having no dishes in the sink before writing. LOL

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm in the same boat. I finally finished my book but felt I could have finished it sooner. Okay, off to fold some laundry ... errrr, write some more.

David P. King said...

I can't think of any OCD issues. My problem is distractibility. I need a dangling carrot to get me through some spots. And I don't mean actual carrots (though that would be better for me). :)