Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rebel Writer's Pledge


First I want to thank Sheri Larsen for putting this blog hop together.

The Rebel Writer's Pledge is for us to look back on our successes and failures of 2011, and then move into this year with new goals and perspective.

Last year, I was in college, finishing my degree. (Which I finally got! Woohoo!) I didn't get anything published last year because I felt a bit over whelmed with school (where as the year before I had two short stories out there). So this year with everything finished and done, I'm up to the challenge.

So here are my writing goals for this year:

1. Treat my writing career as a job, not so much as a hobby. My crit group had a very cool author visit us this week. When I asked about his schedule, he said that he works eight hours a day, just like he was at an office job. I need to do more of that.

2. Block out time for writing and get it done. I think this goes along with #1, but it would sure help me get the writing done.

3. Send out my ms for query.I had planned on this last year, but with school, I put it off. No more putting it off. This is the year.

4. Go to that awesome writer's camp this November (I'll tell you more about it the closer it gets).

Those are my goals! Yay Rebel Writers! Now let's get this year going!

Good luck with your writing goals this year! It's going to be a great one.

23 comments:

Patti said...

I also hope to send out more queries this year and put more writing time it. With the laptop I got for Christmas I'm already doing better on that goal.

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Congrats on your degree, and best of luck with your writing goals!

Indigo said...

Awesome goals! We're on the same page with number 3. (Hugs)Indigo

Sara B. Larson said...

Way to go -- on finishing your degree and your goals!! What writer's camp? Sounds like a good year!

Janet Johnson said...

Go you! I need to take my writing more seriously. It's so easy to put off. But if you want to succeed, you have to put in the time.

And I think this year will be a good one, too!

Roxy said...

Awesome goals, Carolyn! I'm trying to achieve some of those myself. I also love that pledge. Way to go, girl. You can do it.

ali cross said...

YES! Those are great goals Carolyn!

I agree with treating your writing as a career and not a hobby. When I made that attitude shift, everything changed for me.

Good luck! (you can do it!)

DL Hammons said...

Those definitely look achievable to me! Good luck!!

February Grace said...

You can do it!

Kate Coursey said...

Woohoo!!! Awesome goals. I'm a freshman in college, and I often find myself strapped for time when it comes to writing. I need to be more focused, and use my spare time productively, rather than sitting around watching tv. Writing time is writing time!

Melissa Sugar said...

It sounds like you have a plan and you have set reachable goals to get you where you want to be. You have a lot on your plate, but you can do it.

I was bad and totally forgot to post my goals. I will do so shortly. Please stop by to read them and check out my give-a-way with some amazing prizes.

I am a new follower.

David P. King said...

I know I totally read this yesterday and I thought I commented. Well, I'm making up for that now. Best of luck to your goals. You can do it! :)

Angie said...

Great goals, Carolyn! I hope you achieve them all and more!

L.T. Elliot said...

Excellent goals, Carolyn! Sending you many good luck wishes and positive energy!

Jolene Perry said...

I definitely treat writing like a job.
Fortunately, aside from being mommy, it's my favorite job ever :D

Which writer's camp?

Lynda R Young said...

They are really good goals. Good luck with your query.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Those are great--especially number one. I need to do the same.

Elliot Grace said...

...the second goal has been a lingering vagrant for me over the past year. There's never enough time in a day!

Good luck, Carolyn. May you achieve all your goals and more ;)

El

MTeacress said...

Treat it as a job, not a hobby - that's what I need to do. You're such a good example. ;)

Yamile said...

These are all such great goals! Way to go, Carolyn!

I also wanted you know I gave you award over at my blog. Here's the link:
http://cheboricuas.blogspot.com/2012/01/blogfiesta-and-awards.html

Susan Fields said...

Good luck with your goals! I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I probably could work 8 hours a day, but I just can't concentrate for that long. But if I count blogging and critiquing and reading that I do at night, I might get close to that.

Shelley Sly said...

I want to do #1 too. The more seriously I take my writing, more I'm bound to get done. Good luck with all your goals, Carolyn!!

Al said...

How I wish I could get 8 hours a day writing!