Thursday, December 15, 2011

Moody Weather

I love this weather.
Photobucket

It snowed this week and today the roads are covered in a soft mist, making the air feel like a mysterious movie.

I love it.

Weather can change a mood, give ambiance, or (as my daughter tells me) finally makes it finally feel like Christmas.

The same thing is true in writing. Have you ever about a funeral on a sunny day? Or a happy ending during a rain storm? It just doesn't work as well. Having the weather match a mood draws in a reader and gives them a sense of setting. Weird how it works that way.

So, note to self: next time you are writing a spooky scene, don't have it at a wedding. Weddings aren't very spooky. Well... mostly.

What is your favorite weather for setting? Sad/rainy, mad/windy, happy/sunny?

I'm going to go cozy up with my lappy and get some writing done. Woohoo! Have a great week everyone. (Only a few more days until Christmas. Can you believe it?)

9 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

I personally hate that kind of weather! Bu5t your right it would bump up the spooky factory. Although I think it would be fun to try and write a funeral on a sunny day and make it work, then it wouldn't be quite so cliche ;)

Summer Ross said...

I'm excited for Christmas too! I prefer sunny warm weather to write in. Though I tend to actually get more writing done when it snows because I don't like driving in it :)

David P. King said...

I'm expecting the undead to walk into view any second now ... any time now ... wait for it ...

I don't mind that kind of weather unless I have to drive in it. Otherwise its kinda cozy, in a creepy, claustrophobic kind of way. :)

Angie said...

I think the weather is a good way to set the tone in writing. It can be fun to shake things up though, too. Give the reader the unexpected.

L.T. Elliot said...

I think that depends because I totally love the idea of a spooky, foggy wedding! =D How cool is that?!

Hope you got in tons of writing! *hug*

Patti said...

I used weather a lot in my first book, not so much in the others. I may have to reassess that. Have a great weekend.

Jolene Perry said...

I use rain a LOT.

I LOVE the rain. LOVE it.

Enjoy your crazy weather!!

MTeacress said...

Foggy/scary is my favorite (so long as it's not too scary). :)

Vicki Rocho said...

I don't know what's going on but we still haven't had any snow. It all evens out in the end -- so I'm dreading January!