Thursday, August 25, 2011

Help me Organize!!!

Still getting organized, but not only around the house.

I've started to block out writing time, getting around to my bloggy friends blogs, getting kids homework help, and even sneaking veggies into the kids diets. (I have one son who won't eat anything but cereal. Not many veggies in there.)

So here are some tools I've found to help me with the organization:

The Fly Lady  - I've fallen off the organization wagon a few times, but her house cleaning plans are the best I've found, especially when you have teenage boys. *cringing at dirt*

The Sneaky Chef   -  I just started the Sneaky Chef's ways of getting more veggies into my kids meals. They love the brownies ...okay so do I...and I don't even feel too guilty eating them...unless I eat the whole pan.

Google Reader - (if you have gmail and blog, this is a life saver! I can organize all my blogs into categories and see which posts I've missed! Love it!)

Tweet Deck- Those of you who know me, know that I don't tweet well, but I do follow what other writers/agents/publishers/and yes...even family members are up to. Tweet Deck lets you organize everyone into their own group and keeps you informed of everything going on not only on Twitter, but also on Facebook.

Netflex Workouts - I never thought I'd try to exercise with online vid streaming, but working out at home has not only saved me gym costs, (which yes, I have paid for before...can I say ouch!) but also time.Who knew online bootcamp would kick my butt?

As a writer, we borrow and beg for more time to create. These ingenious people and tools are invaluable to me as a writer.

Have I missed anything? What do you use to save time, make life less chaotic?

18 comments:

Shari said...

I'm not much of a tweeter either, but I like to follow a few other people's tweets. So, I've been looking into Tweet Deck.

You rock with all your mad organization skills.

Carolyn Abiad said...

I'm for fly lady everytime! *tosses off flip flop* Except for the part where I have to wear shoes in the house. (I love fuzzy slippers.) 15 minute intervals I can do.

My closet organization tip - get some new hangers. It's amazing how quickly favorites get the honor of a new home. The other stuff I give away. (Unless I decide to get some more new hangers.)

I must organize my google reader. Next week.

Summer Ross said...

To save time- ha! I wish there was any time left at all, but between homework, kids, volunteer work, and a boyfriend time is out.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, I can def. benefit from many of these! Thanks, Carolyn. :-)

Angie said...

Those all sound great. I could definitely use some help in all those areas myself.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Love Fly Lady, and now I'm off to check out the Sneaky Chef. Whoo hoo!

Jessica Bell said...

I'm totally on the Google Reader bandwagon, but Tweetdeck? OMG! That thing stresses me out!!! LOLOL

Medeia Sharif said...

I use Tweetdeck.

I find that reading ebooks, especially on the go, allows me to read more books.

To save time online, I have all the websites that I frequently visit on my bookmarks bar. And I like to have many blogs open at the same time in different tabs so that I can comment on dozens in a row.

I've also been working out while I watch Netflix, so that I have movie/TV time while doing something else.

Other than that, everything's chaotic. I hope to organize other areas of my life.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Google reader - I've seen it, but I've never used it -should I? Now I want to check it out.

I've been organizing the little log house and feel so much better as things are organized, but my writing/professional/social networking life is out of control! heeelp ! Laughing.....

Jennifer Shirk said...

Tweetdeck is great for Twitter!!

I use IGoogle too and keep my house and writing "to do" list there.

Lynn said...

I do use Google reader and have Tweet Deck, but have yet to organize it! I love the idea of Netflex especially with..sigh...winter around the corner.

Talei said...

Oh, great tips! I use tweet deck too but I've not sorted feeds into groups -thats something I need to look into!

Have a fab week!

ali cross said...

I am DEFINITELY a FlyLady fan! Even when I'm not faithfully following the plan, her wisdom has really helped me. I use, "Even housework done incorrectly blesses the family," and "You can do anything for fifteen minutes," DAILY.

But Sneaky Chef and Netflex? I haven't heard of those and I'm off to check them out RIGHT NOW!!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, great suggestions! I need to check out the boot camp one. :)

Elana Johnson said...

I think you've got it all figured out. For me, I simply get off the computer and that saves me TONS of time.

salarsenッ said...

Okay, sweetie. How the hell do you do that organizing of blogs in Google Reader?? I so have to do that!

L.T. Elliot said...

I used to love my tweetdeck until it started getting glitchy on me. For now, I'm back to regular ol' twitter but I still have lists so that's somewhat useful. Not as cool as tweetdeck though. =[

Glad you're getting organized in all areas! So excited to see what's to come!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Thanks for all of the links. I need to figure out the tweet deck. I like the idea of being able to group people into categories.