Thursday, February 24, 2011

What? You Mean I can just Wear my Socks?

LTUE rocked!

I have so many notes, rubbed shoulders with so many cool writers (I even got a scary leer from one of the horror presenters—OH, WAIT! That might be bad).

But many of my writing bloggy buddies mentioned that they can’t go to a writer’s conference because of distance, money, etc.

So first, let’s talk about conferences/workshops. Did you know that you don’t actually have to leave home to participate in a conference or workshop?

It’s true! You can be a part of a conference and stay in your living room, walking around in your undies and socks (just don’t let anyone know about that).

 Not only that, but there are tons of online sites that accommodate even the most hermitost-shy writer known to man (Is hermitost a word? I think it should beor there should be some kind of treatment for it).

First, if you don’t know Elana Johnson, you’re missing out. She’s super cool and a great presenter! She and a bunch of writing buds have created the WriteOnCon. You can check it out HERE and HERE and even HERE. They did such a great job last year and it’s completely free. Plus they have events throughout the year. Did I mention they rock? They really do.

If you are looking for writing info, you can't pass up a site that's claims "Fifteen minutes long, because you're in a hurry, and we're not that smart." (I know...cool.) Checked out the Writing Excuses podcasts. Not only are they informative, but they are entertaining as well. This is especially good for new writers who are learning the craft of writing (there is a craft. Trust me. It’s almost as fun as macraméwhich... I can’t do).

Then there is Muse. I have never attended this conference before…ever…but I remember one of my blogging buddies mention it last year (plus it's the name of an awesome band--but that has nothing to do with writing).  Muse is a totally free online conference. That’s all I know friends. Let me know if any of you have attended and what you got out of it.

There you have it, a few places to start right in the comfort of your own home. Cool, huh?

Don’t forget, you can do it! Now go get dressed (or not...you know- the whole comfort thing) and get started.

Have you attended any online conferences/workshops and how did they go?

29 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I have done a couple workshops online- but with college and kids my time is so limited. great informative post!

Jamie Burch said...

Thanks, Carolyn! WritOnCon was an amazing conference. I'm curious about the others.

Glad to hear you had such a fabulous time! Can't wait for details....:)

Indigo said...

The only trouble with online workshops is they're rarely, if ever close captioned. It's one of the reasons I haven't contemplated a conference yet. In that area these things tend to be out of my reach with my deafness.

Sometimes YouTube claims something is cc only to discover, it's actually transcribing a weird news channel. Eventually videos will catch up with the times and give me a more updated choice. (Hugs)Indigo

Laurel Garver said...

Thanks for the links, Carolyn. I've only attended one conference that was local and pretty inexpensive. It think the cost factor is the only reason I don't attend more.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I'm one of the "too far away, too much money right now" people. *sigh* It's a goal, though. I participated in the last WriteOnCon, and that was pretty fun. I haven't tried anything else yet, though. :-)

David Powers King said...

Great post, Carolyn.

I was at LTUE as well. Too bad we didn't cross paths or had the chance to chat. Maybe next time :)

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea about online conferences. What a great idea!

Patti said...

I did go to the WriteonCon site. Definitely some good stuff there, but it's not quite the same as interacting with other people.

Jolene Perry said...

I watched a bit of writeoncon. I'll probably do a little more - they had a bunch of good YA stuff but at the time I wasn't sure if I'd write YA. Now I'm hooked :)
I'm SO glad you had the opportunity to do that!
I'm WAY excited about Storymakers in May.
Also - Muse rocks :)

roxy said...

I have never gone to any online conferences or workshops, but I have attended many live events in Utah. In fact, I was planning on going to LTUE, but had to watch a neighbor child instead. Which of the horror authors on the panel leered at you? Was it Dan Wells? Have you read his books?

Elana Johnson said...

Thank you, Carolyn, for the shout out about WOC (and me). You are soooo awesome!

Shallee said...

LTUE was fabulous! Thanks for the tips on these others-- WOC is a great one.

Carolyn Abiad said...

WriteOnCon was great, and I do online conferences when I can. I love when I can actually go and meet other writers, though.

Jen Daiker said...

I love all the outlets you've shared with us. It lets someone know (like me) that there are several options for scared little newbies.

I may chat it up with all you fun loving besties but I'm a terrifed little kitten (because their cute) when it comes to the possibility of a HUGE ROOM OF TALENTED WRITERS *blushes* crowds make me nervous.

Jen Daiker said...

I love all the outlets you've shared with us. It lets someone know (like me) that there are several options for scared little newbies.

I may chat it up with all you fun loving besties but I'm a terrifed little kitten (because their cute) when it comes to the possibility of a HUGE ROOM OF TALENTED WRITERS *blushes* crowds make me nervous.

Yamile said...

I love attending conferences. Not only for the all the learning but for the meeting such wonderful people (like you!) and not feeling so alone in this writing thing.
WriteonCon is amazing. Sometimes I couldn't get online during the chats, but the archives are a treasure trove. So much wonderful information!

L.T. Elliot said...

Excellent resources. I haven't heard about Muse but I'll check it out. Glad you had a great time at LTUE!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I usually go the NJRW conference every October. But this year I'll be going to the national conference in NYC. I'm very excited!
Sometimes just being there and soaking up the atmosphere gives me encouragement and excitement to write when I get back.

nutschell said...

I've never tried going to online conferences. I heard about writeoncon but didn't have the time last year. Maybe I'll try it this year. Thanks for the fun & informative post!

Susan Fields said...

I haven't tried an online conference yet, but I've heard so much about WriteOnCon and it sounds fantastic!

Susan Fields said...

I haven't tried an online conference yet, but I've heard so much about WriteOnCon and it sounds fantastic!

Nichole Giles said...

I was so sad to miss LTUE this year, but will definitely see you at Storymakers! Also, WriteOnCon is da bomb. Just sayin.

Bethany Mattingly said...

I haven't attended, but I'd love to. Thanks for the links! I'm check it out now.

Sara B. Larson said...

Glad you had such a good time! (scary leer aside) I haven't heard of MUSE, but WOC is awesome!!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I haven't attended an online conference, but I did an agent lead workshop with Mark McVeigh and it was super. I think there were about 8 of us and him.

LeishaMaw said...

I haven't heard about Muse. Thanks for sharing. Off to check it out. :)

salarsenッ said...

I want to physically attend a conference so badly! I did attend Muse's online conference this year. It was awesome. I met some fantastic peeps and learned a lot. Great post, girl.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great information. Now do you have something to help with time? A pill or something that could help me do everything I want to do? That would be very helpful.

BTW: Love what you've done to your blog.

Medeia Sharif said...

Yay for WriteonCon, a conference you can attend in your pajamas.

The most convenient conference I go to is the SCBWI Florida annual in Miami since I can drive there. The farthest one I've been to was in Orlando. But this summer I plan on going further away.