Monday, February 14, 2011

Life, the Universe, and Everything... *happy sigh*

If you haven't heard from me this week, it's because I'm Here:
at the LTUE or Life, the Universe & Everything conference.

Yes, it's the kickoff of many fine conferences. So I'm unplugging this week to prepare and mingle with other writes. I'm way excited.

Here are a few things I've packed in the past, and highly recommend to anyone attending a conference this year:

MnMs (because I have a noisy stomach and really, no one wants to be startled by that thing!)

Pencils (even a pen, because I have broken a pencil a time or two and writing with plain wood just doesn’t work well. I did try to chew off the wood, but I had wood shavings stuck in my teeth for a week!)

Paper (To write on… and make spit wads to launch at people who are making me jealous). (j/k I would never do that, and that incident in New York last year - Not me.)

Crackers (Please see MnM’s above).

Notebook (At the conference last year I brought home piles and piles of notes! I expect the same today).

Deodorant (this one is pretty self explanatory).

Couple of chocolate bars (because chocolate is the magical food made by tiny magical creatures from a magical land *sigh * and it’s so, so good!)

A little extra coinage (for silly things like, food, bottled water, gas for car – stuff like that).

Antacid (There is a funny story behind this, I promise, but just not enough time to disclose. So sorry, and if you’ve heard the story * head hung low * you have my deepest sympathies).

So there you have it! My list of stuff that I will be dragging through the halls with other devoted writers, breathing in the fumes of excitement and hope. If you see me, feel free to ask for a handful of MnM’s, hopefully I haven’t eaten them all yet, but it is very possible that I still have a few good sheets of paper left for spit wads.

Are you planning for any conferences this year?

28 comments:

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Hehe, exciting! I might make it there on Saturday if I can manage it. It's a busy day.

Candyland said...

Oooh sounds like fun!!! Have a great time:)

Summer Ross said...

I hope you have a really good time. I have never been to one but wish I could at some point.

Shallee said...

Ooh, fun! I'll be there too, and I can't wait! Maybe we'll run into each other. :)

Susan R. Mills said...

Have a great time! Be sure to share what you learn when you get back! Even if it's just that M&M's melt faster in sweaty hands. :)

Jolene Perry said...

wow! Have a great time! I'm assuming you'll tell us all about it when it's over??

LisAway said...

Such a useful list!! It sounds like it will be great, just by what you'll have with you in your bag! Enjoy it!

Jen Daiker said...

I'm living vicariously through you! Have fun!!

WindyA said...

have fun! i won't be able to make it :(

Patti said...

Wish I lived close enough to join you. Looking forward to the report.

Jamie Burch said...

Oooh...you're so lucky!!! Have fun...:)

Sara B. Larson said...

Sad I can't go. Have fun and learn lots for me! :)

Susan Fields said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at the conference! Unfortunately, I'm not planning on any at the moment. And yes, I heard about that New York incident last year - I was wondering if that was you. :)

Shelley Sly said...

Yay, conferences! I hope you have a lot of fun!! I have yet to attend one, for financial reasons, but I really hope I'll go to one someday.

I like your list of items... looks very much like what I would pack. :)

Shari said...

Have fun at the conference! Learn something for me.

And you won an award on my blog. Come over some time to get it.

L.T. Elliot said...

I'm really looking forward to being there, myself! Woo-hoo! All excellent things to bring to a conference. I usually have a million pens. I love my pens...

Michelle Teacress said...

I'm going to try to make it - depending on the weather tomorrow. I'll probably see you there. :)

LeishaMaw said...

I am more than bummed that I couldn't swing LTUE this year. I hope you're having a blast. :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Conferences are so much fun! I hope you have some business cards with you. There will be people you want to keep in touch with.

Jenn Johansson said...

Wow! You came prepared! :) It was so, so great to see you this weekend. We need to get together more often. For reals. *hugs*

Jen Daiker said...

No conferences. Shame on me. I know I should be looking into them, because they'd be so fun!!! I'm nervous about them. I'm better online than in person, I get anxious at the drop of a hat.

What would you suggest for a first timer?

Bethany Mattingly said...

I can't make any conferences this year :( I hope you'll let us know what you learn.

Lola Sharp said...

Okay,*taps foot* well, I'm waiting for a full report on the con. :)

I hope you had a wonderful time. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Yeah, I'm going to several cons this year...I don't have my datebook thingy nearby, but one of these days I'll get my schedule up on my blog.

Hugs,
Lola

Lynn said...

My reward for finishing and submitting so many short stories is attending a writer conference. It's a great motivator. I look forward to reading about your adventures!

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

I'm soooo jealous! I just finished reading -- back-to-back -- James Dashner's 'The Maze Runner' and 'The Scorch Trials'. I'd love to hear him speak! He's amazing.

Enjoy!!!

Elana Johnson said...

It was so great to see you! I OD'ed on sour patch kids my first day, so I definitely could've used some antacid.

Kathryn Magendie said...

I was on the panel at the On the Brink conference, and my stomach kept growling! LAWD! I was so afraid the author next to me was hearing it, then I was afraid the microphone would pick up the sound .... I almost picked up the microphone and put it to my stomach and said, "Listen! Okay, it's growling! Okay!...then.. there...now you know." Laughing -- :-D

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, man, I missed this post! I'm sorry, Carolyn - bfffail. :-)

I hope you had a blast!