Thursday, February 3, 2011

Come on! Will You Just Put That Book Down?????

Self:  So, you totally slept in today.

Me: Hey, it was only a few minutes.

Self: Yeah. But your eyes are blood shot and your hair... I mean...Look at your hair. Don't you believe in brushing?

Me: *evil glare at Self while setting cup of orange juice down on table* Well...if you hadn't gotten so wrapped up in that book last night, I might not have gotten to bed so late.

Self: *looking down at table, blushing a little*   OH... Well   *nervous laugh*  That...well...

Me:  Don't blame me for sleeping in.

Self: *fidgeting with gross thing on table that didn't get cleaned off from late night reading* I have a weakness. I'm sorry.

Me: *sighing* Fine. You're forgiven. *running fingers through hair, but stopping short when finding big mat of tangle* That was a great book though.

Self:Yeah, it was.

Me: So....*super long pause* what book do you want to read tonight?

Self: Oh, I have a list.

So I finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card last night. So good!  Unfortunately, I didn't get this post ready until this morning (or worked on my writing assignments for class, or studied for my final tomorrow, or panicked about the dentist appointment today--oh wait, that's a good one).

Have you ever gotten lost in a book? If so, which one?

Oh, and by the way, this is for my kids.... Need I say more? (you guys crack me up!)

22 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

The NEED series by Carrie Jones pulled me in and WOULD NOT let me go. In fact, despite my infinite TBR list, I find myself compelled to re-read them. It's only been about a month since I finished!

Mary Campbell said...

I LOVE that video - I'm stealing it. I so know how this guy feels.
Ender's Game is awesome now you need to read Speaker for the Dead - I think it's his best book.

Shari said...

I soooo love this video. And its message. I'm pretty sure my kids think I sound like that. I'm reading The Clockword Three and it's gooood.

Summer Ross said...

I haven't read the book you are talking about- but it sounds like it was a good one for you. I adored the video, thank you so much for sharing

Becca said...

(My kids love Julian.)

And I think you are delightful. It has been a while since I let myself get really good and lost in a book - I think I'm reading like an editor (gag) and forgetting to actually take the ride.

Resolved: I shall take the ride.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

I'm reading a book, pig. Hahahaha! So, just now I was eating lunch and planned on reading just a few pages of Gillian Flynn's Dark Places. Yeah. I read three chapters, and actually started a fourth before I snapped out of it and told myself to go write! Annnnnnd, here I am, commenting on blogs.....

roxy said...

Very funny vid, Carolyn! I also enjoyed your conversation with Self. That exchange sounds so, so familiar.

ali said...

LOL! I love it when you and yourself have these heart to hearts.

Jolene Perry said...

Loved Ender's Game.
I just finished Harmonic Feedback. read it in a day. SO good.

L.T. Elliot said...

I frickin' love your kids. They're the funniest, most awesome EVER. And thanks. I now have this song stuck in my head. =P

Bethany Mattingly said...

This post totally had me laughing. I've read waaay past my "bedtime" so many times, you'd think I'd learn that it's not the best idea. I just can't seem to help myself. It's so worth it, isn't it?

Shelley Sly said...

Ender's Game is a great book! I enjoyed this conversation between yourself and... well, yourself. :) Getting lost in a book is a good thing!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

funny post! I hear ya, I've had that same conversation before! Too many times! Let me think, recently it was because of WARPED, VESPER and UNEARTHLY. Now I'm about to check out Enders Game.

Elena Solodow said...

I loved the twist at the end of Ender's Game.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I went to sleep with the Uglies last night...and slept in this morning.

Carolyn Abiad said...

Lol! Love the video and it's going up on my FB right now! I'm always reading a book and I want a Kindle so I can read up on those classics I never got to, but my DH knows he'll never see me if I get one... :D

Indigo said...

Loved that video. I ended up lost in the pages of "The Dead Path", by Stephen M. Irwin. His writing just pulled me in and sunk it's teeth in. Of course it's a horror book, but the way he described things had me thinking - I want to write like this. (Hugs)Indigo

Susan R. Mills said...

I've found myself caught up in too many great books to mention. I love it when it happens though.

Medeia Sharif said...

This week I was caught up in Karen Mahoney's The Iron Witch.

I love the video.

Melanie Jacobson said...

I love, love, love getting lost in a book.

And just wait until you read Ender's Shadow.

Carolyn V said...

Thank!

Carolyn V said...

I hope this works.