Thursday, January 27, 2011

Warning...You Might Want to Rethink that Title. Just Saying.

Photobucket
Hey guys. 

Well, my littlest decided it was a good idea to jump from the top of his bunk bed yesterday. 

Needless to say....he broke his foot. 

So, today I am carrying him from room to room --since he can't figure out the crutches thing (he thinks they're lightsabers and keeps waving them at his siblings mumbling things about not being the droids they are looking for. Whatever that's about ). So I thought I'd re-post something from years past.  

I'm hoping next week we will talk about conferences, because I'm making my list (and checking it twice)! 

I’ve been sitting her typing nothing for twenty minutes. So I got to thinking, does a title of a book mean that much to the content of a book? Possibly. I mean, what if:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was Chuck and his Culinary Assembly Plan, or even better… Chocolate and the Charlie Factory (I'd totally eat read that book).

The Twilight Saga was changed to The Very Sparkly Vegetarian Vampire Series (very fitting).

A Christmas Carol was changed to Merry Terror Christmas Stories for the Whole Family.

The Lord of the Rings was Circular Metal Devices of Theocrats and the Short Men who Love Them.

I guess that is why titles can change before they are published. That way the reader will (hopefully) be caught by the title of a book and pluck it off the shelf to take home. I mean, would you really want to read The Little Boy with Some Lightening Scar Thingy on His Head? Just not as catchy as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Well...now that I read it again....

Have a great week everyone (and I don't want to hear about any of you jumping from the tops of the bed. Seriously. One broken foot is enough).

28 comments:

Shari said...

Maybe Free Bread Girl could be Girl Who Eats Lots of Bread and Makes a Fool of Herself.

Sorry to hear about the broken foot. Hope things heal quickly and he gets the hang of those light sabers, er, crutches.

Jen Daiker said...

Lightsabers... kids will be kids.. too funny.

We were just talking about Twilight at another blog. How Stephenie Meyer wanted to label it Forks... thinking about Forks (the silverware) I'm thinking it wouldn't have been successful.

Thank goodness the change was made!

Laurel Garver said...

I kind of like _Merry Terror Christmas Stories_. Catchy! :-D

I kind of get how, as Jen says, Meyer had thought to call Twilight by the title _Forks_. It does have that overtone of people as food. Had it been straight-up horror, that would have worked. But as paranormal romance? Not so much.

Susan R. Mills said...

Sorry about the broken foot! I hope it heals soon. As for titles, I agree. They can greatly influence whether readers pick up the book. Your examples cracked me up.

Candyland said...

Oh crap! Hope your little one gets better soon! My daughter jumps off her top bunk all the time.

Summer Ross said...

I hope he feels better soon and learns not to do that anymore. My youngest had a broken leg once and that was a different kind of experience so I understand about carrying from room to room.

I think titles have alot to do with the book I read unless I know the author

Kristina P. said...

Oh, wow! That's a total bummer. Stupid broken bones.

Bethany Mattingly said...

Wow, I hope he gets better :) Titles are the hardest thing for me to come up with.

Carolyn Abiad said...

Ouch! Hope his foot heals quickly! I've got two of my own that keep me on my toes, even though they're big enough to know better. :( Boys!

Love the cute titles you came up with...especially the part about The Short Men Who Love Them! Too much! lol! :D

Indigo said...

Oh ouch, sorry to hear about little ones broken foot! Me? not jump from high places? Too late. I once jumped straight down from 2 flights of stairs. I was the lone tomboy in a midst of daring boys. I survived with no broken bones, I did however bite into both sides of my tongue hard. To this day you can see a slight curve on each side.

And...I still climb up on counter etc. when I need something I can't reach. Some of us never learn. (Hugs)Indigo

Jolene Perry said...

I'm so sorry! I read your post out loud and got a look from both my kids. Hopefully they WON'T try jumping off the bunkbed, though my son did start asking about crutches...

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Your poor darling boy! And this was a great choice for a re-post! :-)

Angie said...

Oh, poor guy! I hope he heals quick. That's no fun at all. I love your alternate titles. I think it's important to come up with a good title even for submitting, though they usually do change.

Deborah said...

Hi Just came across your blog...I laughed out loud at the Lord of the Rings one.
Hope your little one heals quickly and that he's getting all the treats he wants! :)

Sara B. Larson said...

Bummer about your son! :( Hope you don't have to keep carrying him for too long.

L.T. Elliot said...

Hate to hear how the little man got hurt. =[ Hope he finds the droids he's looking for and you find some rest!

p.s. I love the LOTR's new title. ;)

ali said...

LOL, clever remakes you've got there Carolyn!

And I'm sorry to hear about your little boy. :( Glad he's enjoying his new lightsabers though. :)

Patti said...

I am the worst at titles. I should probably try to put more effort into them.

salarsenッ said...

Okay, this was great...all except for the little one's foot breakage. That sucks! Hope it heals quickly.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Sorry to hear about your little one's foot. :(

It would be really interesting to see a list of first draft titles verses published titles of books...

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh no! Sorry about your son. I broke my wrist in college jumping from a bunkbed. Dangerous things.

Lola Sharp said...

Oh, I'm sorry about your little guy. :(

Depending on how heavy he is, I hope he learns to use his light sabers, um, I mean crutches sooner than later for getting around on his own. And I hope you let him draw on the cast. :)

We do this on twitter all the time, making less interesting titles to movies and books. It's fun. :)

Hugs,
Lola

Vicki Rocho said...

Hope your son figures out the crutch thing before he injures someone else with them!

Love some of your secondary titles!

Katie Mills said...

hope your little feels better soon! In some cases a title can totally spark interest in the book. Sometimes the title is misleading and other times it isn't flashy enough to convey what the pages hold. A very delicate thing it is...

Lynn said...

Oh no! I hope he heals fast! I've seen titles change and the change has always been for the better.

Elana Johnson said...

"the short men who love them." This awesome. Sorry about the broken foot. :(

TerryLynnJohnson said...

oh, no! Sounds exciting with the light sabers though. heh heh.

Carolyn V said...

I me, does this work?