Thursday, October 14, 2010

Stinkin' Old Wonderful Corner Thingy

"Do you want this? I'm just going to set it out on the curb and wait to see if someone takes it."

In the back of the truck was an old broken armoire, the special kind that can snuggle in a corner. It was dingy and its cupboard doors were off their hinges, its frame torn from it's center.

Oh yeah! A corner wardrobe thingy. I had always wanted one. I had some tools -hammer, heavy duty staples, varnish, time. Maybe I could fix it up. Even if I couldn't get those doors back on.

So the next day, I got to work. I washed, nailed, re-hinged, added awesome new knobs.

And then it was finished (I even got the doors fixed). 

It turned out better than I thought. It was beautiful. (I cried a little.  I also did a happy dance which turned out more embarrassing than I had planned when the mailman walked in front of my window.)

Today, it sits in my front room corner, hiding all my stuff and making my room actually look clean (I love that! Plus I can hide my chocolate chips in there and NOBODY knows- mwa ha ha). All to the thanks of all my tools. Thanks tools!

Sometimes my wip reminds me of that old broken armoire.  I just want to set it on the corner outside and wait for someone to take it away. But deep down I know it can be fixed. I just need the right tools -crit buddies (super loves ya), revisions, rewrites.

It's going to be beautiful one day. And when it's done-I'm going to set that book down, inside the corner wardrobe thingy, where all my special stuff goes and do a super happy dance. I don't even care if the mailman sees me.

So how about you? How do you feel when you are doing rewrites/revisions? Do you feel like you can do it? do you feel like it's worth it?

p.s. I'm unplugging for a few days. The kids have school off and we are going to party (as long as they call cleaning out their rooms partying. Mwa ha ha)!

Have a great week guys!

31 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

Great analogy- and that armoire sounds really cool!! Have fun with the kiddos!

Patti said...

That's a great analogy. Sometimes broken things can be fixed and as we go through our drafts we have to keep thinking that.

Kristina P. said...

You writers always astound me! You never give up.

Jen Daiker said...

This was such a fun post! Though I'm a little upset that you didn't even show us the finished product! I want to know where you put your chocolate chips at!!!

I just keep plugging away, never give up, that's the best motto to live by!

Bethany Mattingly said...

That sounds like an amazing project! I bet it's fabulous. :) Even better because it has created a wonderful analogy!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks for the sidebar plug, bff! Love ya! :-)

L.T. Elliot said...

I would have liked to see a picture, too!
Apt analogy! The great thing is that you can see it come all together and end up with a beautiful, finished piece.

Jolene Perry said...

Wow. Have fun with the kids.
Sometimes I just have to let things sit for a while but when I finally pull things back out to do the real work - I fall in love with it all over again.

Shelley Sly said...

I love this analogy! I so frequently think my manuscripts are hopeless and ready to be tossed to the curb, and it takes me a while before I realize that I just need to fix 'em up! Thanks for such an inspiring post -- do that happy dance with no shame! :D

LisAway said...

I love both you and L.T. talking about using tools. I'll bet your WIP will one day be even more of a joy to you than your furniture. :)

Amanda Sablan said...

<3 armoires

Anything is worth it for your book if it'll make it better, so long as you know when to stop. Especially with revisions; you don't want to be revising and revising for years.

Have a great few days. :)

WindyA said...

I think you need to give me a lesson on re-fabbing furniture. I've got this curio cabinet sitting in the garage someone gave us and it needs a cool new home. I just wish I knew how.

And that is a great analogy. Except, I wonder if someone would pick up that stack of papers I leave on the corner ...

Becca said...

(at our house after all the rooms were cleaned, which was no small task, we went swimming. Mmmm.)

lotusgirl said...

Sometimes the rewrites feel overwhelming. I feel like I can do it eventually, but sometimes I have to take deep breaths and just forge ahead.

Jenn Wilks said...

Good for you for getting that armoire all fixed up. Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure it's beautiful! And good luck on getting that book to put inside it!

Summer Ross said...

Thats a wonderful way to express the revisions...I really like what you did with it. a picture would be nice of that corner thing, but its all good. Hope you have a fun time over the weekend.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Have a great time with the kiddos! It will give your wip some time to perculate in the back of your mind. :)

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh - wish you'd post a photo -

and I love the image of you doing the happy dance and the postman seeing you *laugh*

Great analogy too --

just brought a smile to my ole face.

salarsenッ said...

Revisions are definitely worth it, just a pain. But through pain we grow. Does that say how I feel?? lol

Jackee said...

I want pictures of this armoire! :o)

I always feel so discouraged when doing revisions--like it's never going to end. Thanks for the great analogy of hope!

Have a great night, Carolyn!

Julie Wright said...

editing is a time for me to prove I can do it better. When my editor gives me suggestions and points out weak places, I get excited because I know he's making the manuscript stronger, and I always feel the need to step up to the task and prove I can do it. I love the post here. The right tools are totally necessary and happy dancing is required.

Elana Johnson said...

It feels like a lot of work, and sometimes I don't want to do that work. Sometimes I can't see which work needs to be done, and that makes me feel overwhelmed. And sometimes it feels fun, like I can take on every sentence and come out the victor. So it just depends.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

whew! trooper!

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Yes, I've felt that way about my MS off and on for months. Btw, my husband rescued a broken down table from the curb last weekend. We're shortening the legs and making a massive coffee table, the top of which we plan to mosaic tile. Love a good refurb project!!

Al said...

Lovely anecdote. If you keep persisting you get there in the end.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Loved this! And I've been looking for an corner wardrobe thingy to hide chocolates in. I'll have to pay more attention to free stuff out on the curb.

Hope you've had a wonderful time with your kids. :)

Carolyn Abiad said...

Elbow grease is always the best remedy. So rewarding too!

Nichole Giles said...

Go you, Carolyn! That's awesome. It takes someone with vision to know the potential in a broken down piece of furniture. No wonder you're a writer.

Lynn said...

I love this. Even when your story, or even life seems worse for wear, there's always hope--nothing a little bit of 'paint' can't make brighter.

ali said...

I totally think it's worth it! YES!

Ishta Mercurio said...

Love this analogy - and of course it's worth it!