Friday, September 3, 2010

It's a Party...A Party, Party Weekend

Hi everybody! Karen G. is hosting a great party over on her blog. What a great idea! I'm bringing virtual cookies and blogging about keeping a positive attitude. This is so we can meet new awesome bloggy writers, so please check her site for more details.

Okay, the positive attitude thing is... hard. If you read my post this Monday, I kind of left you hanging. Things didn't go quite as I had planned. The national editor wasn't taking any new clients and the other was sick. So I was sent to a well known local publisher who said they wanted my ms, but they informed me they don't publish dystopian.

I was torn. Should I cry because the opportunity I had been working towards wasn't going to happen? Or should I cry because I was finally picked. I did the later. I was so thrilled just to know I had the talent to do it. All I had left to do was polish and query.

Sometimes things don't go the way we envisioned them. Sometimes plans are changed. Sometimes we don't think we can live up to the potential. It gets discouraging, but I believe there is always hope, if we just keep keepin' on.

But how do we keep our chins up as writers? I'm forming a list. So far this is what I have:

1. Eat lots of chocolate (or twizzlers if you aren't a fan of chocolate...although I'm pretty sure chocolate cures anything..except for finding lost shoes. Chocolate never helps with that).


2. Listen to songs that make you want to go out and get it! (Pork & Beans by Weezer, Something Good Can Work by Two Door Cinema.  *grinning* Oh there are just so many good ones I can't list them all!)

3. Spend time discussing (yelling, crying, gnashing of teeth, a little nose blowing) said discouragement with a trusted writing buddy. Writing friends know how it feels. They really do. Most of them have all been there. 

 4. Stop whining and start writing. (That's my big one. I took drama as a teen. I can wallow with the best of them.) 

There are my top four. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I'd love to know what helps you get over the writer blues.

20 comments:

Summer Ross said...

lets see poking fun (a little) at my rejections tends to help- I'm on a goal to try and receive 100 of them and then I'm going to make a huge collage out of it. :) So I guess you can say I look forward to the rejections.

It also helps to do blogfest, it may not mean much but when someone even points out their favorite line of your short piece for the blogfest- it makes a smile
Plus those are good for honing in on your craft cause if you make a mistake- it will usually be pointed out. :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

#1 and 3 are at the top of my list. I also like to visit blogs that I know will jump-start my positivity. :-)

Julie Musil said...

Hey! I'm partying with Karen G too!

I like to spend a little time being sad over a rejection, but then I just keep writing. Writing keeps my mind occupied while I'm waiting to hear about a manuscript.

And yes, chocolate is the answer to just about anything

Angie said...

Chocolate, like you said. Loads of chocolate. And working on something new. And crying a little bit. Sorry it didn't work out with the editor. :( There's someone out there who will love it! I just know it.

Patti said...

Remember why you wanted to write in the first place and for me it isn't necessarily to be published, (of course that would be wick awesome), but because I had a story I wanted to tell and even just a handful of people read it, that's okay.

Plus a lot of chocolate.

Jolene Perry said...

I get out. I plug into my ipod and walk.

BUT I would love it if you would sometime do a post of a huge long list of favorite songs since I can already tell we have the same taste in music...

Sara B. Larson said...

These are all great ideas! Plus, for me, continuing to move forward - sending out more queries, or starting a new project, something that gave me hope - was the best medicine for me. Knowing that I still had a chance for it to work because I was still moving forward. Feel free to "discuss" your discouragement (or anything else) with me whenever you want!

ali said...

I loved your list of somethings. :). I'm sorry your opportunities didn't work out the way you'd hoped. I'm kind of in the same boat, so I can empathize. ((hugs))

I also totally agree with your #4. The best thing for me to do when I'm feeling discouraged about my writing is also the most difficult. Because the only real cure, for me, is to sit my butt down and write.

Jennie Bailey said...

Chocolate should help you find lost shoes - it should give you the brain power and the stay power for your search! I can justify chocolate on any occasion.

I just dropped by from KarenG and I'm glad that I did! Great list! Things don't always turn out the way we wanted, but they always turn out the way they should - that's what I've found.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Sorry things didn't work out. I would buy yourself a book you've been wanting and read it. That's what I usually do--reward myself no matter what. :)

And there's always CHOCOLATE Twizzlers.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Here from the BBQ!

When I was querying and received a rejection I'd been excited about, I'd allow myself one day, no more than two, to wallow in self-pity-eating bad food and watching bad tv - *laugh* - then Back to Work - eventually, things worked out, so, never give up! :-D

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

You have the right attitude. It can be tough sometimes, but that's when you need to get back to the keyboard and write. You're so close. Hang in there.

KarenG said...

Hey why don't I come here more often? I've been a follower for awhile, but I really need to not be such a stranger. I like this positive attitude post, and I'm eating twizzlers at this very moment. Well, I was. I am now drinking Fresca on ice. Now I need to go read the other post :)

Jen said...

Yay to kick butt blog party!!! The BBQ was awesome! Best BBQ ever!

Lynn said...

A bowl of M&M's are always helpful! Seriously, it's encouragment from my courageous buddies that keep me going in all things in life.

Creepy Query Girl said...

that's a great list!:) It sounds like no matter what, you've got yourself a winner and this should give you renewed confidence when you query! I think you'll be surprised by what can happen with the time is right! Good luck and congrats!

Bethany Mattingly said...

Your last one is a big one for me. I feel like I'm forever telling myself to get over myself. :) I love your list!

Tiana Smith said...

I love this post! And I agree with all of them, especially about stopping whining to start writing. That's one of my big problems :) Congratulations on your success and I hope it all works out for you!

Terry Stonecrop said...

Hey, you're doing fine by staying in the game. Just keep on keeping on!

A little dark choclate, mixed with a glass of red wine, won't hurt you either. Health food, by some accounts!

Al said...

write, just write.
You got so close that says to me your MS has what it takes, hang in there.