Monday, April 5, 2010

Are You Asking for a Challenge!?





The family and I were sitting around yesterday, enjoying some quality time together, when somebody mentioned how much time we spend on the internet/tv/ipod/ etc....

So my oldest child offered his dad a challenge - no computer games/tv shows for a week.

I sort of tuned out at that moment as the kids all laughed and upped the wages of the challenge. Soon everyone was involved. My daughter vowed to no ipod, my son no video games, etc...etc...(I secretly laughed, because I was not involved in the crazy challenge of no media week. Sweet! I'd be watching TV and playing my tunes while eating fudge as I sat in a super huge beanbag - which I don't have, but still....it would be awesome).


Then I heard the dreaded words, "I think Mom should give up Blogger for a week!"

"NOOOO!" I screamed (making everyone jump a little). I thought had so cleverly adverted the situation. Wrong! (Please sing as you say wrong, and emphasis the "g". For dramatic effect. Thanks.)


"I don't think she can do it." I heard, making the competitive part of me rise to the top.


"Oh yes I can," I snarled, giving them my oh-you-wanna-play eye-look thingy.


Everyone laughed again (I wasn't sure why this time, but I was sure it was because I was suckered into something ).


Then somebody said, "The winners will get pizza and rootbeer floats as an award." (Oh man, I was so there.)


So my blogger buddies, if you don't hear from me for a week, (yes, I will be unplugged from Tuesday to Tuesday - *cringe*) it's because I'm proving to my awesome family that yes, I can unplug - and they can too!

I will miss you! Have a great week everyone!

22 comments:

Candyland said...

WHOA...WHOA...okay...Hmm...I have no logical string of words. Just, WHOA.

lotusgirl said...

You can do it. I just did it last week. A complete unplug is healthy from time to time.

Kristina P. said...

Man, good luck!!

Jen said...

Wow... I will miss you for sure! You're one of my favorite blogs, but I myself will be off the blogosphere for four days on my trip to Los Angeles so that's okay! You chose the perfect week for the bet, it seems a lot of people are unplugging!!

Good Luck and Godspeed ahead!!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, you're killing me, girl! How am I going to make it a full week without my bloggy bff? *sigh*

I miss you already! :-)

Sheri Larsen said...

Aw...you RAWK, Carolyn. The entire time I was reading I kept thinking, 'Will she do it? Will she?' Willpower gained from food is a killer, isn't it? See you next week!! Pss...if you peek, I won't tell.

Tiana said...

Ah ha ha! This is awesome. I wish I could participate as well, but I have a feeling I will get the shakes from withdrawal. Have a good time unplugged, and we'll see you when you get back :)

Lisa and Laura said...

I think this is a great idea--good luck! Maybe I'll try to convince Lisa that we need to do the same thing some time...She's an addict, it won't be easy.

Jackee said...

LOL! I need someone like that to convince me to let go of the net occasionally. Maybe when my kids are bigger...

Enjoy your impromptu week off!

Kasie West said...

AHHHHHHH!! Sorry, I was living vicariously through you for a minute and that would've been my reaction. My kids would've said the same thing. You're a good mom for getting involved in the challenge. I'm pretty impressed that your kids were the instigators of this. My kids would never willingly give up media.

Tess said...

You can do it! I give up the computer one week out of most months (unplug week). I do e mail only and it has been nice. Have fun :D :D :D

Danyelle said...

Good luck! Will miss you. :D

Mary Campbell said...

I'll miss you, but you can do it. Pizza is calling - good luck!!!

Sara B. Larson said...

For reals??? Whoa. Well, best wishes to you. Your radio silence will be mourned far and wide... at least until next Tuesday. But maybe you can get some writing done!

Medeia Sharif said...

Good luck. This would be very hard for me to do, but I wish I could impose an internet break on myself to get more things done.

Elana Johnson said...

You can so do this. My students give up their video games and stuff for a week for the NOVA program. Ain't no thing. But you will be missed! :)

L.T. Elliot said...

I've been taking more time offline and I'm grateful for it. I've had more time for writing, more time for my family, and more time to get caught up on my house/garden. Enjoy the time away and see you when you get back!

Susan R. Mills said...

Good luck. Have a great week. We'll all still be here when you get back.

Suzette Saxton said...

The ultimate sacrifice. ;) Missing you already!

Nisa said...

lol! That is awesome! Way to rise to the challenge! Oh man, they sure got you... Enjoy your pizza and root beer float!

Lady Glamis said...

Awesome! See you when you get back!

Nichole Giles said...

I get that. I totally need to unplug myself. Now, if only I can find the will to do it...

I gave you an award on my blog today. Go check it out before you unplug. Or after. Whatever works. =)