Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Favorite Word, What's Your Favorite Word?

“No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” ~ Robin Williams

(First, I need to give a special thanks to Jen and Shannon for the awesome awards they have given me. I will get those out to some of my bloggy friends in a little while. I am in the middle of the last part of Stats and am working my tail off to get a decent grade. Thanks guys!)

If you haven’t seen Word Girl on PBS, you’re missing out. She is a witty super hero who goes around fighting crime and correcting words that are used incorrectly (kind of like my thesaurus, but better).

At the end of the show there is a segment called Favorite Word, where… *momentary pause while thinking how to describe*….well, here - take a look:



After running around one morning trying to get my kids out the door, I heard this segment coming from the other room and thought, “Hey, what’s my favorite word?” Being a writer, I ought to have a favorite word, right?

I thought and thought.

There are so many words. Some roll off the tongue: loquacious, fabulous, splendid.

While others burst out in amusement: chunk, rutabaga, aghast. (Okay, maybe not that funny, unless you said, “That fabulous rutabaga left me aghast.” Nope, still not funny.)

But I think out of all the beautiful and words there are, I believe awesome is my favorite. ( definition from http://www.merriam-webster.com/: Expression of awe -- inspiring awe/terrific -- extraordinary)

You can tell I love this word, because I use it so much. You’re awesome. That is an awesome view. Did you read that awesome book?!

My favorite word might change next week (because I’m fickle that way) -- I may love the word rutabaga, but for now awesome is it.

So as writers and readers, what are some of your favorite words? (Crackers? Exquisite? Rutabaga? That is kind of fun to say.)

23 comments:

Jen said...

Right now I'm loving fun-tastic and awesomesauce, I've been using them for awhile now and they seem to have stuck with me. Oh I do love ridiculous sayings as well...

I was just joshin' ya. Oh that dress is horrid.

I use those around the office because no one talks like that and being from Iowa they assume that all people talk like that.

Heidi Ashworth said...

You are awesome! I have a hard time picking favorites of any kind-however,I do have a favorite word in French--jardin, which means garden. Just love how it sounds not to mention what it means. My favorite word to type is "opinion" because it's so fun, all one handed and almost like playing piano. That's all I got.

Patti said...

I think I'm an awesome lover as well.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love the daffodil - it's my all-time favorite. I also love words like behemoth, vacillate, plethora, and doofus. :-)

Elana Johnson said...

Shrub.

That is all.

LOL!

L.T. Elliot said...

"Dude." or "Vacillitating." "Fruition." But never "Apathy."

ali said...

Oh man. Good Question!

I have fave words to say (awesome, dude, supercool, superultracool) and favorite words to write/think (joyful, awesome, fabulous.) But hmm. Gonna have to think if I have a winner in there. Maybe awesome?

Still really love JOYFUL. So fun to say, so wonderful to feel.

Jackee said...

My oldest kid LOVES Word Girl.

If your favorite word changes, it's only because you're AWESOME like that, not fickle.

My favorite word is WONKY. As in "with that limp, he walks wonky". It just sounds funny.

Good luck with Stats! So glad those days are over for me...

Lisa and Laura said...

Vernacular. I like words that sound like what they mean. Yeah, I'm a weirdo.

Mary Campbell said...

Awesome is one of my favorite words too. I also seem to like freak too since I use it a lot. I must also like the names of my kids because I shout them a lot.

Josi said...

Ah man, Awesome was my word too. Shoot, I'm gunna have to find another one..

Solvang Sherrie said...

I use awesome a LOT. And just. I did a search and actually kind of freaked out when I saw how many justs were in my manuscript! But I don't know if I have a favorite...I'll have to think about that...

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

fav word is hope!

Tess said...

I have to CHOOSE? nope, too tough. that's like choosing a favorite child. but, I am loving the comments here. :)

Stacey said...

Here are some options:

verbage

quadrilateral

Ben

supercalifragalisticexpialidocious

Kasie West said...

What a cute show. I love the idea of a favorite word, but like in many other areas of my life, I'm too diplomatic to pick a favorite. I wouldn't want to hurt all the other words feelings. How can I pick a favorite when they are all so useful to me? I wouldn't want to offend the word gods or they might not help me out when I get stuck. :)

Tiana said...

I haven't thought of rutabaga before, but that one is pretty funny. My fav word is wasps. Because it's fun to say with so many 's's. :)

Mary Campbell said...

Hi Carolyn - I have and award for you at my blog.

Scathing Reviewer said...

favorite weird? probably leakage. weird,I know.

Medeia Sharif said...

I have many favorites words. One of them is defenestrate.

~Jamie said...

Word Girl is freakin' awesome. Lady redundant woman is hands down the best villain EVER.

Thanks for stopping by Elana's blog today and reading my interview!

Sheri Larsen said...

Great post. Have to check out Word Girl!! Uh...hmmm...'Enchanting'I'd have to say. Love that word.

Danyelle said...

I love awesome too! I also adore percolate. :)