Monday, February 15, 2010

Why Blog?

I am amazed at what I have gotten from blogging.

Over a year ago, my critique group and I started a group blog called Paper and Parchment. It was my first experience with dipping my toes in the Internet world. It wasn't until a few months ago I decided I should have a blog of my own. So I took the risk and did it.


But why have a blog?

A writing friend of mine asked me that a few weeks ago. As I sat and thought about it, a few thoughts came to my mind. Having a blog is a risk - a risk of putting yourself in front of the world, a risk for criticism and embarrassment. But having a blog also gives new opportunities and opens the world up to you. I would recommend blogging to any one who is interested in writing. Why? Because of a few things:

1. The people you meet. It doesn't come over night, but little by little I have met wonderful people over the Internet that have the same dreams, goals, and yes, even troubles that I do. I have read posts that have brought tears to my eyes, made me feel blessed for what I have, and made me spew milk from my nose (because they were so funny). The only reason I have some of my short stories published are from friends I have met through networking (btw I am so grateful for you guys believing in my work and helping me get published).

2. The networking. Which is almost like #1, but a bit different. There is no way I could drive to New York or CA to interact with agents and editors, but through blogging I have had opportunities to meet such people. Awesome people who have answered questions for me, helped me with queries, and shown me that a rejection is not the end of the world (remind me when I am querying my WIP). We are all in this together.

3. Getting my name out there. Agents and publishers alike have commented that in this day and age, you have to market yourself. One of these ways is by writing a blog. It can be a blog about your day to day life, the journey of writing, or just anything you are in the mood to write. Just get yourself out there. (Plus you get all those benefits from above.)

4. Blogging gives me the chance to take risks that I wouldn't have taken in the first place. I have learned about contests that help me further my career in writing one way or another. For example, I have won a critique from Angie which I will need before I pass on my MS (Thank you Angie! I owe you big). (BTW Check out Elana J's AWESOME contest she and Shelli are doing this week. *squeal with delight!* Can you imagine how cool it would be to get your work critiqued by agents? AWESOME! Take the risk!)

5. Last but not least, I have learned what WIP, MS, LOL, and ROFL all mean. And you guys have all helped me ROFL from time to time, which I totally appreciate. =)

So there you have it. This is what blogging has done for me and why I would recommend blogging to any writer who has the desire to get published. It will be well worth your time.

21 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I think that the relationships I have made through blogging have been invaluable. Some of my best, best friends have been formed from blogging.

Mary Campbell said...

All of those things are great reasons to blog. I started out just wanting to get my name out there and now I blog because I love it. I love the people I've met through blogging and the things I've learned from reading others blogs, but I still don't know what ROFL means.
So fun to hang with you over the weekend.

Tiana Lei said...

It is so great knowing that you are not alone. Blogging is an amazing tool for writers to connect. It was nice to finally put a face to your blog the other night at dinner :)

Elana Johnson said...

Hi Carolyn! Thanks for the linkage, you are too kind.

I totally agree that in this information age, there's no reason authors can't connect with people in NYC or anywhere else. :)

Lady Glamis said...

Great reasons to blog! Mine are very similar, as well. I think it's one of the best things I've ever done. :)

Nisa said...

Very cool! Isn't blogging wonderful? There are so many wonderful and fascinating people in the world to befriend and to be able to share this love of writing with others? Spectacular!

Lisa and Laura said...

Couldn't agree more. We are in awe of the world that was opened up to us after we began writing. What an amazing community of people.

Carolyn V. said...

Kristina, I totally agree with you! I have met more people who I connect to over blogger than almost anywhere else. Love it!

Mary, ROFL: roll on floor laughing. If I'm wrong, I'm in big trouble, because I've been leaving that on other people's blogs. I could be saying something totally unappropriate!

Tiana, It was so nice to meet you the other night too! You are very cool.

Elana, you are welcome. What a fabulous contest you are putting together!

Lady Glam, I think this was one of the best things I have done too. Who ever thought of blogger should get a prize.

Nisa, There are so many amazing people to connect with out there. I'm so glad I took the leap.

Lisa & Laura, I couldn't agree with you more! =)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

LOL! I want you to know that when my MS was just a little WIP, I used to sit around ROFL whenever I read blogs about how to be a better WIP mama. Ha ha ha. Yes, I am a bit of a smart aleck today. Couldn't resist. Fun post, btw. :-)

Danyelle said...

Very true! I love the way blogging has made it possible for me to meet so many wonderful people, you for example, that I would never have been able to meet otherwise. :)

Debbie said...

I just love the friendships I have made through blogging. I am sure people who don't blog would never understand it but they are just as real and wonderful as any other friendships.

Patti said...

All great reasons. I went into it because a writer friend told me it was the best way to network and get your name out there. Like you I've met great people who have helped me a lot, hopefully I've helped them a little.

Susan R. Mills said...

Yes, blogging is the best! I've met the greatest people through this network.

Carolyn V. said...

Shannon, you crack me up! I need to learn more acronyms to keep up. =)

Thanks Danyelle! I totally agree. I love meeting the new friends I am making, I just hope I can keep up with everyone!

Debbie, I think the friendships in the blogging world are just as strong. We share much of ourselves when we come here and sometimes we just click!

Patti, This is a wonderful way to network, but I've found that I have made so many awesome friends through the process. It's amazing!

Susan, blogging is the best! You are completely right!

ali said...

I totally, whole-heartedly agree! Glad you decided to jump into the soup with us!

L.T. Elliot said...

Well, for whatever reason you started, I'm just glad you haven't stopped! I love your posts and you always make me laugh. =]

lotusgirl said...

Those are the same reasons that I blog.

Suzette Saxton said...

I love blogging. Have been doing it for a year now and can honestly say I love it. (Hubby, not so much.)

Kasie West said...

I agree. Sometimes blogging can become tedious, but the rewards outweigh the work. :)

Tess said...

yes, yes and yes! I couldn't agree more.

Carolyn V. said...

See you guys rock! Blogging is the best. Thanks for all your comments!