Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Super Laundry Girl vs the Evil Stapler


“They say something happen for a reason, if you don’t do them they won’t” ~ Life, Love & Laughter by Donavon Frankenreiter

This proves anything can happen if you try hard enough.
You see, it all began when my middle child came up to me holding a broken stapler.
“It’s broken,” he said.
“I can see that,” I replied. “How did it break?”
“I don’t know.” He shrugged his shoulders. “I tried to use it and it disintegrated.” (okay, not his real words). “Can you fix it?”
“Of course I can.” (Do not say this if you are a sane person. Not all things can be fixed. Especially a stapler in five pieces).

So I got to work. I put the spring back and played with the metal gadget that had mysteriously come un-popped from this holder.

It didn’t work. I tried again, and again, and again. Until I set it down firmly (um…okay, I smashed down on the counter) and said (yelled), “Curse you evil gadget of modern society! You are the burden of my soul!” (Okay, it’s not really the burden of my soul, but I was in a mood. Also, please take note. Yelling at inanimate objects does not make them want to be fixed any faster. Although, you can try.)

I took a break. When I got back, my cute youngest had taken the spring and had named it “Fred” carrying it around with him and not letting anyone lay a finger on it (honestly…he was using it as a rocket and throwing it through the kitchen, and he didn’t name it Fred. It was more like Destructor or something similar to that. I just like the name Fred.)


Anyway, all the pieces had either disappeared or where now a part of an imaginary artillery. So I called it quits.

This morning, as I was staring at my blank screen, trying to think of what should happen next in my story, but feeling the urge to talk to the computer because it wasn't doing what I wanted it to (again, please…objects do not speak back). When what should be sitting beside me? All five pieces of the evil stapler.

I knew what I had to do.

I popped that spring in place, assembled the metal thingy-object and snapped that pusher-down thing-er together. And Pow! My stapler was fixed.

I cheered in triumph! I wept with joy and then ate a bowl of crackers because I was really really happy. The stapler was working again.

So yes, this must prove it. If I can fix a stapler anything is possible. Even what seems to be unreachable, may be reachable.
We just have to keep pushing along, never giving up even when it looks like all is lost (especially when someone has named our stapler springs the Destructor).
See? Anything can happen. You just have to do it.

24 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I could definitely use this advice today!

Elana Johnson said...

Next time my stapler breaks I'm coming to you. I had one I just could not fix. So I bought a new one. $8. (And I love the "pusher-down thing-er." What a great description!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love it! I'm so glad I finally found your personal blog, Carolyn. :-)

Carrie Harris said...

So this means you're the Destructor Fixer?

Hmm... as far as superhero names go, maybe it needs work. :)

Carolyn V. said...

Kristina, Glad I could help. =)

Elana, I know! Why are they so stinkin' expensive? I'm hiding mine so it won't break again.

Shannon, I'm so glad you found it! I love your blog too.

Carrie, I'm in the process of thinking of good super hero names. The best I've come up with is Super Laundry Girl, because I am always battling the dirty clothes. They are so smelly.

Lisa and Laura said...

I'm just shocked you ended up with all five of the pieces to be put back together! It was fate.

Shari said...

You are so awesome, Carolyn. And yes, anything is possible because I have two more scenes and FBG's first draft will be finished.

L.T. Elliot said...

Way to show that stapler who's boss, Super Laundry Girl! (Honestly, I would gave given up and gone to Office Max. You're way cooler than me.)

Your advice (both here and through email) is keeping me together lately. What would I do without you?

Carolyn V. said...

LiLo, all I can say is...weird. It's true.

Shari, I am so excited for you!!!! Whoop! I loved the 1st chapter. I hope to see the rest! Very soon.

L.T. You are just awesome all around. You can do it! You are a great support to me. =)

Susan R. Mills said...

Very inspiring post. I needed it today. I've been feeling helpless. If you can fix a stapler, I can do what I need to do! :)

ali said...

This is SO funny and awesome!

Huzzah to Carolyn, Repairer of the Stapler!

brownierose said...

Carolyn, I love this blog! I can so picture you cussign out that blankety blank stapler. You are so multi talented and know you are a super stapler fixer! Thanks for teh info I also needed this today. It's been one of those day! ha! Your awesome!

Carolyn V. said...

Susan, it's true. Anything is possible and fixing the stapler proves it. Silly stapler.

Ali, Thanks. Maybe that should be my new super hero name...The Stapler fixer upper.

BrownieR. Thanks =) I'm so glad you came on over. We'll have to get our staplers together and compare broken pieces.

Mary Campbell said...

So cute Carolyn - you are the stapler master. My kids ask me to fix things only because their dad isn't home very often. I'm not that great at it and I give up easily. Even if something is unfixable they don't believe me and they wait for dad - dad can fix anything. I'm stuck on my WIP right now - I need to fix it, but I've stepped away from it for a few days to see if any ideas come. Your story makes me think I need to get back in there and try again.

Carolyn V. said...

Mary you always make me smile! I'm stuck on my WIP too, only because I have to change a thousand things. So, I guess we are in this together. We can do it!

Patti said...

So what your saying is your pesistance paid off. Good lesson going into the weekend.

Joanne said...

So we have to "pop" those words into place, "assemble" our cast of conflicted characters and "snap" the pusher-down computer keys, and Pow! Our stories will be working! In a way, I'm pretty certain this is true. Cute post, very inspirational!

Carolyn V. said...

Patti, let's just hope that persistance continues with my ms.

Joanne, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Could a few snaps and pops make my ms better? I really, really, really hope so. =) Thanks for the comment. =)

Melanie J said...

My two boys have the most creative armory of weaponry I've ever seen. I will now hide all staplers so as not to encourage anymore ballistic ingeniousness.

Carolyn V. said...

Melanie, Yes, I would hide them all. In really, really good hiding places (underwear drawer?) Good luck!

Tiana Lei said...

Ha ha, I loved reading this! Now if only I could fix my three-hole punch ...

Tristi Pinkston said...

You are good. Seriously good.

Nisa said...

lol! This is such a cute post! Way to prove that the impossible is possible! I love it!

Carolyn V. said...

Tiana Lei, Thanks! I'm working on those three-hole punches, but they are tricky!

Tristi, Thanks for the compliment! So nice. =)

Nisa, Now I must finish my edits. I hope that won't be impossible. =)