Thursday, January 14, 2010

Turnips, Triumphs, and First Drafts...plus scary-crazy weeks...Yikes!



I wasn’t sure if I should blog this week, because it has been one wacky week full of crazy teachers (not any of my teachers, but still - a whole long story), strange men who give out their email addresses (I don’t even want to begin with that one), sick little guys (thank goodness for indoor plumbing! Love it!), plus the whole awful earthquake in Haiti (my heart goes out to them - if you can, please donate to relief efforts - Check out Nathan Bransford's blog for a good resouce). (Or find a place near you that is taking donations. But only those you trust.)


There is one shiny light at the end of the tunnel (or should I say week?). I am almost done with my first draft!!!! Yes! Hooray! Doing funky dance. I just have to piece a chunk of story with another chunk of story, and I’m done.

But I’m not really done. Many people think that just because you finish writing a first draft of a story it is ready to query.
Don’t do it my friend! Not yet.


After you finish your story, you have to tuck it away for a few days, pull it out, and reread, revise, reread, revise.
Yes, this is what we writers do after we squeeze all the blood we can get out of that turnip – then we make pumpkin pie with it (it’s not easy making pumpkin pie from a turnip, but I’m trying).
Have the piece critiqued, maybe add a few beta-readers (or alpha-readers, whatever you like to call them), and then ….


Query.


Hopefully by that point the piece is ready to go. Not an easy task, but well worth the work.

Any other suggestions I’m forgetting? Maybe a trip to the therapist to discuss trying to make pumpkin pie from a turnip?

20 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Good for you!!

Elana Johnson said...

Yes, therapy is definitely needed. While I'm waiting for my MS to cure, I research agents and read blogs. Then I have a good list for when I am ready to query.

Good luck in that trench!

Angie said...

Way to go! Sounds like a great end to a hard week.

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks Kristina! =) Love your snuggie btw.

Great idea Elana. I have a lot of agent searching to do.

Angie, thanks! Let's just hope next week will be awesome. =) *fingers crossed*

Sara said...

Way to go Carolyn! I can't wait to read more and find out how it turns out!! :-)

L.T. Elliot said...

No one could be happier or more proud of you than I am! I'm thrilled that you've made so much progess and I can't wait to read it in all it's glory. =]

Mary Campbell said...

I love the new look Carolyn. Congratulations on finishing the rough draft. It's a big accomplishment even though there is still a ton of work to do. I haven't finished my rough draft yet - so your ahead of me.

Carolyn V. said...

Sara, Thanks!!! I hope you guys like it!

L.T. oh you will be getting it, you are my best reader! (So you'll be getting it even if you don't want it. mwa ha ha).

Mary, thanks on the compliment re: the new look. I have to admit, I spent WAY too much time on it.

Lisa and Laura said...

HOORAH!!! Congratulations.

Only, I think you're forgetting the step where you hit the grocery store to stock up on chocolate and ice cream. It helps. Trust us.

Rachel said...

That's awesome!! I can't wait to read it!!

Shari said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be prouder.

Tess said...

Hi, Carolyn! Enjoyed meeting you last night. Hey - your profile pic matches mine a little bit (both covering our faces with books) .. but yours is way cuter.

Congrats on finishing that draft. One step closer every day :D

Stacey said...

yay Carolyn! I am so proud of you for finishing that first draft! It IS a big deal even if there is still work to be done!

Congrats! Some day I will join you!

Melissa Sarno said...

Congrats! I am in the middle of revising my first draft, and, yes, there is so much before that first query goes out. But we have to enjoy these milestones! Good luck :-)

Carolyn V. said...

Stacey, Shari, Rachel... Thanks you guys! You totally made my day! =)

Melissa, You will have to let us know how you do on the revision. You're right, the milestones ROCK!

Tess, I loved meeting you. You are awesome and so sweet! Can't wait to see you again. =)

Nisa said...

I'm in the thick of revising at the moment. Oh my! Yeah, the first draft is just the first step along the journey.

Danyelle said...

Congratulations on almost being done with the first step! Revising may be hard and very unfun, but the turnip to pumpkining is all worth it when you hold that polished story in your hand. Good luck!

Carolyn V. said...

Nisa, Awesome that you are revising! I'm soooo close! Good luck!

Danyelle, thanks! I can't wait to hold the finished process. Can't wait, can't wait! =)

Jaime Theler said...

Finishing the rough draft is huge! Congratulations!

It was so good to see you again the other night.

lotusgirl said...

First draft done. Woohoo. That's something to celebrate.