Monday, January 25, 2010

Support or Weight?


Okay, this is my rant for the quarter. I have to have one at least once in a while…right? p.s. this was written in haste, because I really should be studying for my Stats class…shhh, don’t tell my teacher.

My good friend and I went to breakfast this morning and the subject of writing support came up. She and I have both had experiences where we have heard people say not very nice things about other writers or have seen controversy as we have taken this journey.

As we reflected on this, we thought about those amazing writers who did support others out there in the community. Those who answered questions, those who plan awesome activities, those who care if someone has gotten something published how big or little it may be. Those who haven’t gotten offended by someone’s misspoken words.

They are the class acts.

And there are many out there.

To you I say thank you. You are the support writers need to keep writing, the force of support to encourage a discouraged friend (not drag their noses in “you wrote this?” But instead said, "I can help you."). You are the ones who keep us going. And to you I say. Thanks.

After having a difficult week with the writing, I was grateful for those around me who came to my aide. I hope I can be more like you and be a support and not a weight when others in my life are struggling. I am truly grateful.

Have you ever had someone help you up when you were feeling low? Do you have any suggestions that I can put in my mini book of awesome ideas to help others around me? (I know long title for my notepad, but I love it!)

Thanks guys! Next week I will actually take the time to think of a great post and not go on a long rants. Well, maybe. =) Have a great week, and may all your writings be mind-boggling astounding.

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I can't attest to the writing community, but I feel the same way about the blogging community. There are some bloggers who are jealous and tend to be very negative, and others who are willing to help their fellow bloggers and share their knowledge.

Lisa and Laura said...

We haven't had a ton of negative experiences since writing, and I have to say, the overwhelming support of the writing community impresses us everyday. I hope you find the support you're looking for. We are always here :)

Elana Johnson said...

The writing community is very strong with supportive people, at least in my experiences. There's always a few bad eggs, just like anything. I try to be approachable, but people tell me I'm intimidating. I'm working on that, but I'm not sure quite why. My awesome mullet?? (LOL!)

L.T. Elliot said...

I once had some life-changing help from a pretty amazing author. The only thing he asked from me in return for such a gift was to do the same for someone else when it was my turn. Though I truly believe I can't ever repay the gift this person gave me, I'll spend my life endeavoring to do just that, just like he asked me to.

I'm glad you wrote this. I tip my hat to those fine writers too. Thank YOU. You keep me at it when I want to give up.

Mary Campbell said...

This didn't sound like a rant to me Carolyn - you're so sweet, I but you don't know how to rant. I've found the writing community to be very supportive so far. The only thing I can think of your list is - try to stay approachable and friendly. I don't think you'll ever have a problem with that Carolyn.

Susan R. Mills said...

I think it was a very nice rant. So far, I've met some amazingly supportive writers. I am grateful for each and every one of them.

ali said...

I agree with Susan, as far as rants go, this was an awfully nice one! I have so many wonderfully supportive writer friends. I'm sure I'd be lost without them.

SO glad you've got some too ~ we all need 'em!

And yep, we should all strive to BE one too :)

Carolyn V. said...

Kristina, unfortunately, I think there is people like this in every type of avenue. It's so sad. But then there is good too.

LiLo, you guys are awesome! =) There are mostly great people in the writing community, which I am so thankful for!

Elana, you are just awesome. And a great support to all writers!

Mary, you are so awesome. Thanks so much. I agree with the approachable and friendly. It's the only way to do it. I hope I can stay that way.

Susan, I have meet very amazing writers and am so glad for it. I'm glad you thought my rant was nice. =)

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks Ali! I agree with you. We should all try to be a support to writers. It's not just getting your book out there. It's who you meet and the journey on the way that counts too. Thanks!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

As far as writing encouragement, the things that have kept me going through the years are remembering I have something unique to say and my writing can only improve with practice.

Carolyn V. said...

That is true. The more you write, the better the writing becomes. Love it!

Danyelle said...

I've been lucky enough to fall in with some incredibly awesome people. They help me remember that I'm not as bad as I think I am. It's a plus that we plot taking over the world together. O:)

Tiana Lei said...

I left you an award over on my blog:
http://www.tianalei.com

Carolyn V. said...

Danyelle, I love that you are planning on taking over the world! Sweet! hee hee.

Tiana Lei. THANKS. Whoop! I love awards. You rock. Thanks. =)

Patti said...

That wasn't much of a rant, in fact it was very polite. I think it's important to find somebody who will be your cheerleader.

Jen said...

I found your blog from several other blog buddies and I decided I must stop by! I love your blog... super cute!!!

I also don't think that this was really a rant, I think it is important to find those who can be cheerful and kind in the process of writing. There will always be those out there who are unhelpful, and luckily we can distance ourselves from it all!

Carolyn V. said...

Jen, I'm glad you're here! I'm glad I didn't rant. I try not to, but there are moments =)

Suzette Saxton said...

Rant any time. You're still sweet as can be. And so much fun to hang out with!

Mary Campbell said...

You don't blog enough Carolyn - came over to say hi :)