Friday, January 22, 2010

Not a Hobby, Repeat, Not a Hobby!


Okay, so I was talking to this woman. She knew I was writing and had been pursuing finishing my book. She also knew I was almost finished with school.


"So what are you going to do with your degree once you get out of school?" she asked.


I had to stop and think. Because I wasn't sure. Because I was planning on writing. You know - becoming a writer.


"Well, I can become a therapist." I mean really? (I'd have to go back to school and get my major - *cringe*) OR do I want to make up worlds where anything can happen?


"At least you have a hobby of writing." She smiled, unknowing what an impact her words had made on me.


It made me think. Do I really see writing as just a hobby?


No. *eyes narrowing* I don't. Writing is so much more to me and I see it as more than just something to pass the time with.


(Imaginary superhero cape flowing behind me.) "I am not just a hobby writer." (please use super-laundry-girl voice). "I am a writer." *hair blowing in the wind, hand raised holding powerful thesaurus of justice* I don't know why I always see myself as a writer-super-hero, but I do.


For me, I see myself as more then just a hobby-writer. Much more. I am a writer.
How do you see yourself?

9 comments:

Rachel said...

The vision of your Writer-Superhero outfit brings a smile to my face :) You should be that for halloween this year!!

Carolyn V. said...

Hee hee, thanks Rachel. I already have the super-hero basket of defense (stinky socks).

Kristina P. said...

Not even really a writer at all.

L.T. Elliot said...

I don't see it as a hobby too. Sometimes, people can't understand that but the joy of other writers (and some other intelligent peeps) is that they do get it and support it.

I'm totally behind you. I may be a lousy sidekick but I'll always make you look good!

Tess said...

I'm laughing only because I can relate. When my yougest went into 1st grade I had a family put me through a very similar conversation. Writing was fine on Saturday mornings...but what was I going to DO with my life?

*sigh*

some people just don't get it.

that's why it's so great to have each other :)

Melanie J said...

"Thesaurus of justice." Snort.

Angie said...

I think you are a writing super hero! I have a little quandary, because I also want to be taken seriously as a stay-home mom. That's important too. I would hate for anyone to think I was writing because just being a mother is not fulfilling. It is fulfilling, but I have to write. I just have to!

You won a critique over on my blog. Congrats!

Mary Campbell said...

I keep hoping I'll be established as a writer before my youngest goes to kindergarten and everyone starts pushing me to get a real job. I've got three years. Here's to hoping it's more than a hobby for both of us.

Carrie Harris said...

You're a writer because you write. That's that. You're also kewl because you wear a cape, but that's a totally different thing entirely. :)