Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tag Your It!

Oh my gosh, I’ve totally been Tagged!

First, I want to thank Mary for giving me this awesome opportunity. I really, really love her blog and you can find it HERE.

Second, I have to tag two other bloggers to share their experiences about writing. So I’ve chosen Patti & Anna. They are both excellent bloggers (and honestly - I love their blogs too)! All three are writers and you should check them out. =)

So here we go:

1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
The last thing I wrote was a chapter in my new book, Incognito Burrito and Other Things I did on my Trip to Mexico. It’s so funny. The first thing that I still have was called Monkey Business. It wasn’t well written (I was just learning the craft) and I still cry when I have to think about looking at it. It was that frightening.

2. Write poetry?
I had to write poetry for one of my college classes. Although I did okay on the grade, I realized poetry was a lot harder to write than I thought and I don’t enjoy it very much. So…No.

3. Angsty poetry?
Maybe.

4. Favorite genre of writing?
YA. It’s fun to write and people keep telling me I have the voice. I keep telling them, “Whatever.”

5. Most annoying character you've ever created?
Most annoying? Wow, I don’t know. Let me create one now. j/k Can’t think of any.

6. Best Plot you've ever created?
The one I’m working on now.

7. Coolest Plot twist you've ever created?
Best Plot twist? The one where the guy sees dead people…oh wait, that wasn’t me at all. Shoot! That would have been so cool.

8. How often do you get writer's block?
Once a week, at least. Then I stare and stare at my computer screen and snack on chocolate (or wheat crackers if I’m being good) until something pops into my mind.

9. Write fan fiction?
I never have.

10. Do you type or write by hand?
On my lappy. I love that thing.

11. Do you save everything you write?
Always, unless I accidentally erase it. It’s fun to look back and see if I’ve made any improvements. Plus it gives me a good laugh when I’m feeling low.

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
Yes. I have this great piece about a human stuck in the middle of the Elf and Vampire wars. It would be so cool to pick it up, but vampires are so not “it” anymore. Maybe I’ll change them to Mutant Pickles.

13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
My Fav? You sure like to ask the hard questions don’t you? Um…the first chapter of the book I’m working on now. I’ve had a few authors and cool writing people who have reviewed and critiqued it. It has been well received (best feeling ever). Take that Mutant Pickle -Elf war book!
14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?
Incognito B. It’s the first humorous YA book I’ve written and people seem to like it.

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
Oh please, romance? Every book has to have a little spark of romance and as for angsty teen drama – always.

16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?
High school, because there are so many embarrassing memories that I can pull from. Like that one time…hey, wait a minute. You thought I was going to tell you that embarrassing story didn’t you? Yeah, you’ll have to wait for the book.

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Right now I am only working on one project, because I have a deadline. Usually I choose two so I don’t get burned out on the first one, but time is a tickin’.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
Only in my dreams. I have a ton of them. I really liked that big one that sits on my nightstand with the ruffles and the bells and stuff. j/k - I haven’t entered many contests, maybe two. I hate the anxiety of waiting to hear the winners. Plus then there is all the crying and pulling out of hair. It’s so sad.

19. What are your five favorite words?
Serious? Okay here they are:

1. Yes
2. Contract (hee hee, I love THAT one!)
3. Awesomeness
4. Shoe-a- licious
5. Chocolate (I need to change that one someday. I keep gaining weight when I hear it.)


20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?
In my first book, I wrote a character named (Oh my gosh, I forgot – Let’s call her…Towel) Towel. She experienced a lot of the same types of things I experienced as a teen, so it was easy to write about her, but let’s face it, made up people are so much more fun to write about. Especially if they are always saying stupid things. I love that!

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
Everywhere. I especially like the ones that come from riding on public transit. There are so many interesting people on that thing. Have you been on public transit lately? We should talk…

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
No, I can never remember the endings.

23. Do you favor happy endings?
Totally! I hate tragedies (except Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along-Blog – that was some amazing writing).

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
Yes, Love that spell checker. Love it!

25. Does music help you write?
Only before I write. It can help inspire a thought or an emotion, but once I open the lappy, I need silence.

26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head.

“Tabby!” I seized the tampon out of her hand and shoved it into my pocket as heat crept up my face. “He’s not deaf.” (I love that part! It always makes me laugh. Tampons. So funny).

4 comments:

Patti said...

That's a lot of questions to answer, I'll have to compile my list over the weekend. Thanks for the tag.

Mary said...

Some very funny answers Carolyn - I think you do have the voice for YA. Thanks for playing - you're awesome.

L.T. Elliot said...

Wow. I think this is the first time you've mentioned I.B.! Hooray! The world is a better place! Hooray!

You're totally hilarious. I.B. is totally hilarious. You're a born YA writer. =]

Kristina P. said...

Vampires and Elves! A sure hit!