Monday, December 14, 2009
Note To Self
(Sometimes I just have remind myself)
Hi self. I see you’ve been having a difficult time lately, not with just writing, but with everything that you are doing. I just wanted to remind you of some lessons you have learned, because it seems like you forget them and have to relearn them. I hope this will help.
1. Remember why you started writing. Was it for the competition? For the praise? Or was is just because it was fun and you enjoyed it? Don’t write for the wrong reasons. It will make you miserable.
2. Sometimes people will get mad at you for reasons you don't understand at the moment. But it would really help if you wouldn’t mess with those buttons on Blogger and Twitter that erase peoples’ comments and block people off the account. I know you were curious about what the buttons would do, but now that you know… Just don’t do it! (Sorry I erased some of your comments and if you were removed from twitter, I’m adding you back. I was just trying to figure out what the button meant. Yeah, I know now.)
3. Remember the things that make you happy. Cleaning the house while blasting the radio and singing off key to your favorite songs. The scent of fresh cut oranges. The pitter-patter of rain on a hot pavement. The laughter of your kids.
4. Relish in the accomplishments of others…without comparing yourself. Remember the feeling of how wonderful it is to have a friend sincerely be happy for something you have accomplished. Now give that back to others.
5. You will never be the skinniest girl in the neighborhood. I’m sorry to inform you, you just won’t. As long as you are healthy and happy, it doesn’t matter that you are the average weight for your size. Being super thin will not make you happier or make people like you more. You are okay, just the size you are.
6. Which brings me to #6. It is okay not to be popular. You would think after all these years you would have learned this. There is something special in each person. Some are the life of the party while other’s make friends easily and some people can do that cool Lord of the Dance thing. You are different with different talents that are important to who you are. Don’t be someone you aren’t. Just be yourself. Friends will find you, lives will be touched. Just enjoy the bumpy ride.
7. Let go of pride. Pride has only brought you misery and unhappiness. Let it go. It will try to find you and latch on to your hopes and dreams, causing them to crumble and fail. Don’t give in to it. Remember there are better things in store if you let your pride go.
8. Last but not least. Remember who you are and remember the destination. It is so easy to forget. Just keep your eye on the goal.
Self, if you take these lessons into your life you will find you are not constantly making these same mistakes over and over. You are a great girl, with tons of potential. I believe in you.
I just want to take a moment and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I am taking a break from blogging/twittering/facebooking/…. To spend time with the people that matter most to me, my family. I hope the New Year treats everyone kindly and that you are all safe during these holiday seasons. Thank you for following my blog, it means a lot to me.