Monday, November 30, 2009

But it Might Be Yes


It was a sunny day as I sat on the front porch with my big sister.

I was about thirteen or fourteen, which meant she was around twenty-four. If I remember right, we were both going through difficult times in our lives.

She gave me some words of advice that for some reason have stuck with me.
She told me:

1. Stop sitting like that. It’s not lady like

2. Don’t worry if you haven’t matured as quickly as your friends, your time will come.

3. What can it hurt? The worst they can say is no.


Guess what? She was right.

It wasn’t polite to sit like that, although I still do when I’m hanging out in the comfort of my own home, drinking a cup of hot cocoa.

Maturity hit. So did the crazy emotions that came with it, but they’ve settled down a bit.

And to my surprise - The worse they said was no.

I feel like I am coming to a crossroad in my life. School is almost over, I have my name in a couple of books.

It feels good to accomplish what I have set out to do. But now it is time to make new goals, step forward to the future.

New goals are not only exciting, but can be filled with rejection.

It’s funny that what was true so long ago is still true today. I just have to keep moving forward and remember:

What can it hurt? The worst they can say is no.

Thanks T.

9 comments:

Stacey said...

Carolyn what a beautifully written post! I'm so excited to see you this week and talk to you about your goals!

L.T. Elliot said...

That is excellent advice. =] No matter where you go, I know you'll be a success. And while the worst might be the answer no, I foresee more yes's in your future. *hugs*

Suzette Saxton said...

It is good advice. And I love that it has stuck with you all these years. It makes me wonder if anything I said or did made lasting impressions on my younger siblings. I look forward to you taking the next step in your life. How fun to have made it this far!

Carolyn V. said...

Thanks Stacey! I'm going to pick your brain for awesome books to read.

L.T. You are wonderful. Thanks for the hug. =)

Suzette, I'm sure you've made a good impression on your siblings. You are an amazing person =)

Lisa and Laura said...

Battle cry! All they can say is no. Love it. The worst mistake writers can make is not trying, not querying or giving up. I mean, some people bitch and moan about querying before a manuscript is ready and it's a huge mistake. (A huge mistake we made!) But it's not the worst mistake. Good luck as you start this next chapter! Can't wait to read all about it.

Carolyn V. said...

Lisa & Laura, I agree, don't give up. It just takes time and commitment. =) Thanks.

t said...

I enjoyed this post. I still need to learn to be more lady like. 'All they can do is say no' is my mantra most of the time. Sometimes though, doubt and fear take over and I back down. Usually I regret it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mary said...

That comment that says it's from t is really from me. Don't know where the t came from. Weird.

Mary said...

you've been tagged - check out my blog.