Saturday, September 19, 2009

Titles and The Books they Come From

I’ve been sitting her typing nothing for twenty minutes. So I got to thinking, does a title of a book mean that much to the content of a book? Possibly. I mean, what if:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was Chuck and his Culinary Assembly Plan, or even better… Chocolate and the Charlie Factory

The Twilight Saga was changed to The Very Sparkly Vegetarian Vampire Series

The Lord of the Rings was Circular Metal Devices of Theocrats and the Short Men who Love Them

A Christmas Carol was changed to Scary Christmas Stories for the Whole Family (ooooh, that sounds so scary)

The Lost Symbol was changed to The Lost Contact on Floor (That’s the most terrifying title of all! No I don’t wear contacts, but have had friends freak out at the store before. I still shiver at the thought.)

I guess that is why titles can change before they are published. That way the reader will (hopefully) be caught by the title of a book and pluck it off the shelf to take home. I mean, would you really want to read The Little Boy with Some Lightening Scar on His Head? Just not as catchy as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Well...now that I read it again....

3 comments:

Peay Family said...

LOL...and the short men who love them...LOL (snort!)

L.T. Elliot said...

Yeah, the LOTR one was my fav. too. I guess you really do have to judge a book by its cover.

ElanaJ said...

Lightning Scar!! ROTFL! That is hilarious. :)