Monday, August 24, 2009

Music & Writing

I love music. It has the power to motivate, move, and inspire. I think that is why so many writers listen to music while they write.

Music reminds us of past events that have taken place,
Of people who have come in and out of our lives,
People we love, people we don't,
Of our regrets and our triumphs.

It can inspire us to move faster when we are slow,
Or slow down when we are going too fast.
It can even turn a sour mood into a sweet one.

Music is a great power.

I am most touched when a singer performs from the heart.

Perhaps this is why writing and music are so closely linked together, because much of it comes from the heart.

6 comments:

Peay Family said...

So well put! Can you just ghost-write my blog? :)

Sara said...

So true - I can only write with music. (editing is another story! ;-) ) I LOVE music!

L.T. Elliot said...

I love music while writing. The right piece can really set my mood and I feel that much more motivated to work harder.
Very eloquent, Carolyn. Great post.

Does this mean you've been writing today?

Allyson Condie said...

I wish I could listen to music while I write but I am the kind of person who can't chew gum and walk at the same time so it doesn't work for me. I really want it to, though! Maybe I will try again. All you great writers seem to swear by it. ;)

Carolyn V. said...

Rachel, ghost write your post? Only if you want it to be about toilet paper and hair stuck in the tube. (such a long sad story)

Sara, you are right. Editing is a completely different story. Much silence is needed at our house.

L.T. Yup. You will be receiving many emails (hopefully).

Allyson, I can't listen to it while I write, but before works for me. If I listen to it while I write, some of the song gets into my writing. Not so good.

ElanaJ said...

I think you're totally right. Music is felt with the heart, and writing speaks to the heart. They are very closely related.